Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laundry Cabinet is finished! UPDATED

Laundry Cabinet is finished! UPDATED

This is the dry fit of half of my wifes Christmas she asked for. Its a free standing cabinet for the Laundry room. There are four shelves on the right hand side for Laundry baskets.

On the other side there will be door, the same style as the sides, that has yet to be built. Adjustable shelves inside. I need to cut the dado's for the shelf hardware and go buy some plywood for the back and she is ready to glue up.

It's made from popular and will be painted. Must admit I am not looking forward to painting this one even though I will spray it.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 02-02-2007 at 01:35 PM.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Looks good Jeff...dose your gun spary pasley too... lol sorry just a slip from my hippy days
    Reg

looking good jeff, what type of joint did you use to connect the shelves that are shown there?

can't wait to see the finished project.

chris

No Reg, I think is safe to say my gun doesn't

Chris, the shelves are resting in dado's. Scratched my head on that one for a while. Cutting dado's on a TS 50" up wasn't that easy. But it was the best choice. Ensured everything lined up properly and it was good and strong.

I have some decorative brakets to add to the bottom corners of the shelves to dress them up slightly.

OK, out the door to pick up that plywood before the rain gets here.

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Looks great. Good craftsmanship and really functional. Gosh, I hope my wife doesn't see this - or she will want one, too .

Looks like a great addition to the house. I like the kick plate - makes the cabinet look like furniture. We (I) need to organize too - but I like some, I haven't shown this to my wife. Is it just me or is the shelves on the left side of the cabinet going to be huge? From the picture it looks like you could put a stackable washer and dryer in there .

If it's not one thing, it's another. It's always something!

I wish I could type with a Rosana Rosana Dana accent here!

I did the dry fit on the Laundry cabinet. It went well, discovered one piece that was just a tad long. All in all I was well pleased. So last night I studied it for a while and decided on how I wanted to put it together.

I started with base. I decided to glue it up to simplify the final glue up of all the big panels. Today I put it in place preparing for my next glue up. Humm it's a tad to long?? After a lot of head scratching I finally realized I glued up the top panel to the base pieces! It's an 1/4 inch wider than the base.

I was able to cut it apart and save the bases. Just cut a new plywood base and glued it back up. Will use the old piece of ply for something else. But man, you try so hard and forget to mark a piece and wham. It's bites you!

On the bright side I guess I am improving because it only took about 30 minutes to fix this mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Norb Schmidt View Post
    Is it just me or is the shelves on the left side of the cabinet going to be huge? From the picture it looks like you could put a stackable washer and dryer in there .
    Well, the unit is 48" wide. The shelves are 16" or so. So I guess that side is 30" or so wide. So I guess they are kind of large. We just sized it fit in the space we have. And you know there are two things you never have enough of. Clamps and storage!

Whoo Hooo! It's glued up and standing up right! I think this thing gets bigger all the time.

Got to let it dry overnight. Tomorrow afternoon I will finish up these brackets and install them. The small ones go in the corner of the open shelfs. Just a little something to dress up the plain looking shelves. And I made a traditional Arts and Crafts bracket for the sides. Haven't decided on exactly what I am going to do on the top but I will make it work with the brackets.

Next is to make the door. And for course fit it to the opening. But that is fun to me. Lots of quality time with my hand tools.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 01-07-2007 at 01:13 PM. Reason: I am an idiot with a keyboard

Jeff

That is looking good, it will be fun to see it in place becasue that this is BIG! Given the twists and turns in the hallways in our little place, if I were to build something like that (which I NEVER will because we don't have the space
    I would have to build it in place!

Jay