IHIWTH - darn QSWO!

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
I needed some 3/8" and some 1/4" QSWO for a project (to remain a secret for now) so I thought, 'hey, easy. I'll just resaw some 4/4 stock and I'll have both!' Here I was thinking I had this licked because QSWO is supposed to be so stable. Not so. I think I just ruined 8' of 8" wide stock.

Any suggestions?:dunno::huh: Sorry for the poor pix.
DSC_0099.jpg DSC_0100.jpg

Sounds like Rob has you covered. I also try to cut to (oversize) length before resawing. I don't know whether it helps or just minimizes the appearance. I'll assume you needed them that long. I can't say that resawing them out of thicker material would cause less of an issue. Wood will do what it is going to do it seems.

3.5 million comedians out of work, gotta use the one-liners somewhere:rofl::rofl:
Just my luck so many would land here.:rofl:

Sorry Rennie, can't help you on the ripping wood dilemma... I have a guy that does that for me ;)
Anybody I know:huh:

Well Rennie you could try and steam them straight.:wave:
I was pretty steamed when they went crooked. Does that count?:huh::rofl:

Kalea, I first read this as a bad pun: Rennie, sorry I just can't help ripping on you about your wood dilemma.

Rennie, do you need long pieces like that? Can you cross cut them down and surface again?
Actually, each of these represents two parts, so I guess my problem is only half as bad as I thought.:rofl::rofl:

Okay I am a serious guy and will give you a thought. Dave Hawksford just gave Bruce Moffit a solution he uses in his finishing shop. See the post here http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13697

Try Daves solution of a damp towel underneath and a weight on top to flatten out.
This I will check into - thanks!:thumb:

No really she has a guy for that.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
That saws scary :eek:the teeth come up out of the ground.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:
not going there.

Sounds like Rob has you covered. I also try to cut to (oversize) length before resawing. I don't know whether it helps or just minimizes the appearance. I'll assume you needed them that long. I can't say that resawing them out of thicker material would cause less of an issue. Wood will do what it is going to do it seems.
It has a mind of its own. They are going to be shorter, but I don't think I have enough thickness to get them flat again.:(

In a New Age sense, you freed that board's 'inner barrel'. They were barrel staves waiting to break out of their confines. Be free young wood! Be free!

Next time, you need to talk to the boards before you buy them, to be sure they want to stay straight. :rofl:

I'm just here to help. :D

What are you planning to make with them? Sometimes thinner stock can have enogh give to work it. Oryou can try laying them on a flat space and mist them. this will sometime help them flatten out.

I needed some 3/8" and some 1/4" QSWO for a project (to remain a secret for now) so I thought, 'hey, easy. I'll just resaw some 4/4 stock and I'll have both!' Here I was thinking I had this licked because QSWO is supposed to be so stable. Not so. I think I just ruined 8' of 8" wide stock.

Any suggestions?:dunno::huh: Sorry for the poor pix.
View attachment 30684 View attachment 30685

You'll be recognized and celebrated among the fine artists and craftsmen who skillfully create timeless treasures with their hands this is the legacy of master woodworkers like Sam Maloof. Absolutely great rocking chair rockers there Rennie.:eek::):D:rofl::thumb:

Last edited:
Sorry Rennie, I can't help, my experience in that is nil.

My only guess would be ripping those in half again and glue them one opposed to the other, this way "()" or ")(" being the first one easier, but I don't know if it would work.

I think that in this way they would counteract each other and hence get a straight board that you could use. You'll have a glue line on the sides though.

Rennie
What you have ran into is a classic case of "case hardening" Drying at an uneven rate resulting in built up stresses. The most likely way to make these usable is steaming as if you were going to bend them and then drying while holding them flat or even a little past flat.They are now thin enough they may well stay after steaming and slow drying.

Garry

In a New Age sense, you freed that board's 'inner barrel'. They were barrel staves waiting to break out of their confines. Be free young wood! Be free!

Next time, you need to talk to the boards before you buy them, to be sure they want to stay straight. :rofl:

I'm just here to help. :D
Yes. Well, hmmm, ah, well..... So many come backs. So many gray areas. I think I'll just let this one go.:rolleyes:

What are you planning to make with them? Sometimes thinner stock can have enogh give to work it. Oryou can try laying them on a flat space and mist them. this will sometime help them flatten out.
Sorry, the project shall not be disclosed at this time.:D Suffice it to say that it requires this panel to be dead flat.:wave:

Sorry Rennie, I can't help, my experience in that is nil.

My only guess would be ripping those in half again and glue them one opposed to the other, this way "()" or ")(" being the first one easier, but I don't know if it would work.

I think that in this way they would counteract each other and hence get a straight board that you could use. You'll have a glue line on the sides though.
Thanks Toni. I think I'll try the damp towel trick and see how that works out.

You'll be recognized and celebrated among the fine artists and craftsmen who skillfully create timeless treasures with their hands this is the legacy of master woodworkers like Sam Maloof. Absolutely great rocking chair rockers there Rennie.:eek::):D:rofl::thumb:
Thanks Bart - I had a feeling I could depend on you for advice that 'rocks'.:rofl::rofl:

Rennie
What you have ran into is a classic case of "case hardening" Drying at an uneven rate resulting in built up stresses. The most likely way to make these usable is steaming as if you were going to bend them and then drying while holding them flat or even a little past flat.They are now thin enough they may well stay after steaming and slow drying.

Garry
Thanks Gary - many have suggested using moisture. I'm going to give it a try.