Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Boy Barbies (My Handplane Collection)

Smile Big Boy Barbies (My Handplane Collection)

I've been having a blast learning about, using, and in general "acquiring" as many planes as I can sneak past the CFO! Less than 3 years ago I had a $10 Homier #4 and a block plane junk set, then my aunt sent me my grandfather's old Stanley 220, which I cleaned and sharpened. Then I ran across a couple of nice Baileys at garage sales, and proceeded to jump off the deep end. By last year I had acquired a sizeable group of various planes, but to pay for my new Shop Fox W1677 cabinet saw, I needed to sell a few of them off. Well, I missed them, so I started squirreling away gift money and spare change to rebuild the fleet over the long winter here.

Here's a pic of the "old" fleet prior to being largely decimated shortly after buying the new saw:

Here's a pic of the current fleet (this is what reminds me of my younger girls playing with their "Barbies"! ):

In all, there's a Bedrock 605, Bailey 5-1/4, 2 Stanley block planes, Stanley #80 scraper, Millers Falls 8,9,11, (two) #14, and an 18 in transit. There's also an older Craftsman #4 and 9-1/2, a Fulton #3, Record 09-1/2, 03 (circa 1931-1939), (two) #04, 04-1/2, 05, 05-1/2 w/Lee Valley blade, 06, and 07...am currently bidding on a 60-1/2. A few odd wood planes from the old pic are missing from the current pic but still exist in my shop.

Here are my larger Record planes....04-1/2, 05-1/2, 06, and 07:

The bench planes (3, 4, 4-1/2):

The Jack planes (5-1/2, 5, 5-1/4):

Here's a "before & after" of a Bedrock 605 type 6 (1914-1918):

A good look at my Bailey 5-1/4 type 13...all original. (circa 1928):

Feel free to post your collection...I'd love to see them!
    Last edited by scott spencer; 04-09-2009 at 04:51 PM.
    Got Wood?

Well, I must admit that I can't call my planes a "collection" I think I have something like 10 or 15 and a few of them are hand made by me so by no means can them compare to yours, I've got to take pics. Give me some time please
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Making a plane or 3 has been on my "to do" list for while Toni....I'd consider a handmade plane to have infinitely more sentimental value than most of those that can be purchased. Please post them when you get a chance!
    Got Wood?

Hey, Scott.

Is there any reason why most of your planes are Record brand? Is that you have a special preference for them?
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

I guess I tend to be more drawn to the Records and Millers Falls planes than the Stanleys. I've gotten good performance out of both, but I suppose I find the Records and Millers Falls planes to be more unique (aka less common), which has some appeal, and I also like the color schemes.
    Got Wood?

Scott,
    I was wondering, not that you've finally gotten a cabinet saw, whether you'd start lusting after an old Oliver / Tannewitz / Whitney, or find yourself a new obsession. Seems like i've got my answer.
    That's a nice collection there. Are all of them users, or is the fun in the hunt? Looks like you did a fine job on that Bedrock. And all the Records. Are any of them the "Stay Set" (SS) models? They're the ones with the two part chip breaker that Cliffton now sells. I've got a Record #4 SS with a Hock iron - it's one of my final pass, fine shaving "go-to" planes (the other is a low angle smoother with a high angle bevel for difficult grains).
    I think there's no better value in hand planes than buying old and cleaning them up. I even picked up a #2 smoother for my son (little kid - small hands). I wind up using it from time to time because it fits into small places and is surprisingly comfortable even for my big hands.
    Other than the standard smoother, jack, jointer, lineup, i've found the following planes to be very useful and versatile. Certainly worth the money:
    a medium shoulder plane (if you're doing any kind of hand jointery)
    a #78 fillester / rabbet plane (go with the Millers Falls or Record models here - the Stanley's are mediocre)
    a #140 skew angle block
    a #112 scraper plane
    a scrub plane (if you plan on flattening boards by hand)

Keep up the obsession.
    paulh

Hi Paul - The Record 05 is a Stay Set, but I discovered upon receipt of it that the lower portion of the two piece cap iron is missing....I haven't had a chance to clean that one up and try it out, but I doubt it'll work well without that piece. Hopefully I can find a replacement to make it usable. The others are all users. I call it a collection, but very few have any real collector value...I certainly enjoy acquiring them. "The hunt" is definitely part of the appeal. I believe many refer to this obsession as "the slippery slope".
    Got Wood?

From the title, I was expecting them to be pink (I'm not judging you Scott ). That is quite a colllection. I've got a couple of Baileys myself, but still need to do some clean-up and learn how to use them. Know of any good guides for doing so?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    From the title, I was expecting them to be pink (I'm not judging you Scott ). That is quite a colllection. I've got a couple of Baileys myself, but still need to do some clean-up and learn how to use them. Know of any good guides for doing so?

www.cianperez.com - click "woodworking", "fossil fuel friendly".

also:
    http://rexmill.com/

Weeks of good reading!
    Got Wood?

Very impressive collection there Scott. So do your big boy barbies have a house to go with them?