Shop Smiths, still use it?

Mine is a "72" model, I mostly use it for lath work but the sanding wheel come in handy.
A customer was selling it and I had just refinished a old rocker or his and we traded straight up. He thinks he got the better of the deal.

A friend of mine I grew up with had a shopsmith in his fathers shop. Thought it was kind of neat how they combined all those tools into one. How bought some pictures.

Alan , thanks for the push, I've been planning on a little cleaning so here at the pics also the most valuable tool in the shop Tormac

Attachments

• IMGA0418.JPG
    IMGA0418.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMGA0419.JPG
    IMGA0419.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 122
  • IMGA0421.JPG
    IMGA0421.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMGA0420.JPG
    IMGA0420.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 110
I've got all the attachments. Drill press bed & table saw, I don't use either one of them, just the lath and sander.
Got me in the spring clean up mode now. Tomorrow the back area, what a mess, sort of a catch all area. Jerky making, meat grinder and slicer, bow block target, rabbit skin glue and shellac making area. It's a mess. LOL

A lot of nice stuff has been built with ShopSmiths over the years. I don't know what you usually charge for refinishing an old rocker, but I think you did good in your deal. :thumb:

From the sounds of things (turkey hunting, jerky making, shellac making, ATV riding, bow shooting, rabbit gluing, etc.), it looks like you need to find a hobby or something. Sounds like you never have anything to do to stay busy. :rofl:

I try to get the pic;s up some are to big all these are 14x17" except the 2 bottom left are 18"x24"

DCS00540jpg2-1.jpg

DCS00560jpg2.jpg

DCS00550jpg2.jpg

Attachments

• IMGA0336.JPG
    IMGA0336.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGA0262.JPG
    IMGA0262.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGA0145.JPG
    IMGA0145.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMGA0038.JPG
    IMGA0038.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 8
Nice Shopsmith Dave, but never, NEVER ever leave a chuck wrench in a chuck. Please promise you will remember that?

Aloha, Tony

I was going to mention the same,but you were faster than me Tony, but even if it is tiresome I'll say it again:
Never ever leave a chuck wrench in a chuck.

I use mine as a disk sander, DP, horizontal boring (seldom) and lathe (even less seldom). Table saw:eek::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:--never!

I don't what model you have but my 520 handles every sawing job I throw at it, I have had mine for over 30 years and have yet to have any issues with it.

It can easily handle a 4x8 plywood sheet (but I can't any more) with all its table extensions and I have yet to find any thing it can't handle. I also use it as a variable speed lathe and with its various accessories it does a great job.

My shop is a one car garage with no outdoor space so individual tools is out of the question.

Paul,
I'm glad you are pleased with yours. The tilt table and some of the work I have had to do just don't go well together.

i've had one for 15 years. Model 510 with band saw and jointer. Its been a real workhorse. I mainly use the jointer, sander, lathe, and band saw. Over the past few years I've added a decent stand alone table saw and drill press just because it is a pain in the neck to constantly change the tools around. I'm not that good of a planner. I always forget to drill, cut or dado something and end up switching too often.
The table saw part of the Shopsmith is OK but the fence is horrible. Also since the table tilts instead of the blade it makes it difficult to angle cut long pieces. The Shopsmith was a great investment but my table saw was a must have.
The other pain in the neck is having to buy saw blades from Shopsmith. I believe the arbor hole is 1-1/4". I couldnt find any sources for those elsewhere.

There seems to be an almost cult following for the Shop Smiths.
I have heard it said that the old ones were much better than the newer models.
I have also heard it said that the newer made ones are superior to the old ones.
What say y'all that have experience with them?