Shop Lighting

Bruce Moffitt

I have noticed that the shop lighting of choice seems to be T8 fluorescent. The T12's seem to be cheaper at the local box store is there any good reason for choosing T8 over T12? I need to improve the lighting in my shop. Also could use some advise on number and size of fixtures for a shop that is 26' X 30' with 8' 6" ceilings and also what type of tubes should I use.

T8's are more efficient and, IIRC, T12's are being phased out. Whichever way you go stay with daylight color, around 5500 kelvin. You'll feel better and your colors in the shop will be truer.

T-12s are being phased out, except the high output ones from what I understand. T-8s are more effecient for the same output of light (lumens?). Jack Lindsey has an article on line at one of the wood magazine sites that talks how to calculate what is needed for number of fixtures. It is an older article, but still holds true. OK, it's at Fine Woodworking, here's the link: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/Workshop/WorkshopPDF.aspx?id=2771 You have to purchase the artlcle, but it is reasonable. Jack is a member of several of the woodworking forums, but his name doesn't pull up here. There are probably some on line estimaters for lighting available on the web. You might check that too.
I used a combination of four foot 2 bulb and eight foot 4 bulb units in my 4 X 20 shop. It will have a total of 28 bulbs and is quite bright, but my old eyes need it! :wave: Hope this helps. Jim.

i have a 32x32 with 4x 8ft hi output T12 and 4 more on the sides if need them. the inner are is where i have the main lights and it works well fo rme on some occasions i find i want more on the sides and will turn them on independantly,, the new T8 are nice lights and the energy savings i am not sure of the comparisons but i was told just the other day that the ballasts are going to be fazed out soon for the T12. painted ceiling and walls help alot in lighting.

Bruce, the thing I looked at was electronic balasts. I did not want to hear buzzing. I also used T8 but noticed one thing here at the HD. Buying a tandem dual 4ft T8 fixture was about the same price as a dual 4ft single fixture. Just to be clear about what I mean, by dual I mean two tubes, and by tandem I mean one fixture assembly that has essentially 4 ft tubes in it.

I guess the balast is where the cost is so the fitting being smaller does not get you a reduction proportion to the number of tubes.

I also used two colors of tubes to cover the spectrum and I have enough to make sure I have no shadows. I got most of my recomendations out of a taunton book on shop design. They actually provide the calculations in it. I used it as a guide but adapted to my size.

I just have 3 - 8' two tube high output flourescent fixtures in my shop and it lights it up like daytime. Will add one more under the loft I built above the garage door.:thumb:

...I used a combination of four foot 2 bulb and eight foot 4 bulb units in my 4 X 20 shop. It will have a total of 28 bulbs and is quite bright, but my old eyes need it! :wave: Hope this helps. Jim.

Twenty-eight bulbs in a 4 x 20 space? That's not a shop...that's a tanning bed. :rofl:

I'm guessing you meant a 40 x 20 space. :p

I used a combination of four foot 2 bulb and eight foot 4 bulb units in my 4 X 20 shop. It will have a total of 28 bulbs and is quite bright, but my old eyes need it! :wave: Hope this helps. Jim.

Must be fun trying to use the tools in a 4'x 20' shop. How did you shoe horn the ts in their?:D:rofl:

When I built my shop - I put in 3 fixtures 2 tube x 4 feet long t8's

Shop is 26x26

I could definately use more - but the 3 fixtures works OK.

If I would have done some sort of calculation I am sure the numbers would have called for at least 6 fixtures.

I have a total of 20 T8 Dual-bulb fixtures in my 36 x 24 shop. The shop has two rooms, actually. One is 16 x 24 with eight fixtures on two switches. The other room is 20 x 24 and has 12 fixtures on two switches. Having the lights divided into two banks in each room allows me to use only as much light as necessary. With both banks of lights on, I have to looki out the window to see if it's still daytime! :rolleyes: