Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new chainsaw

new chainsaw

When my El Cheapo Homelite from Home Depot started giving problems and I couldn't buy maintenance parts from them, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and buy something that would work.
    Got a Stihl, which I should have done in first place. Their products are reliable and our local dealer gives great service.
    I still have about one million (conservative estimate) branches of all sizes laying in the yard from our January ice storm. Many are too large to move intact and need cutting to handle.
    I had planned on buying the Stihl 290 but it was over budget. Then they pointed out a new model, the MS 211 and that is what I ended up with. Spent a little extra on the Easy Start and, boy oh boy, am I happy I did. Gentle pull and a secondary spring does the starting.
    The saw is a 35.2cc with 16" bar/chain. I was going to get an 18 incher but that was about an $84.00 extra option. Pass. My previous 16" saws did 99% of what I asked of them.
    It is a lighter and more compact package than saws I have had in past that were in the 34-35cc engine size range. I do like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chain saw.jpg  

Congrats Frank! My dad has the Easy Start as well and it is so easy to start!

Sounds like you're going to have quite a brush pile...your lucky you can let them lay and don't have the neighbors/city making sure you have them all picked up in a timely manner.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Frank , nothing like a Stihl to make a man feel like he done some work. Chain saw work is like hunting, give me the opportunity and I'm ready. Now be careful with that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    Congrats Frank! My dad has the Easy Start as well and it is so easy to start!

Sounds like you're going to have quite a brush pile...your lucky you can let them lay and don't have the neighbors/city making sure you have them all picked up in a timely manner.
    Neighbors were in same pickle except they are wealthy (really) and immediately hired help to clean up. We live in a semi-rural county area, no one will hassle me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Frank , nothing like a Stihl to make a man feel like he done some work. Chain saw work is like hunting, give me the opportunity and I'm ready. Now be careful with that thing.
    Thanks, I was getting tired and took a break. It isn't using the saw that tires me but the bending over part is real hard on my aging back.

Congrats, Frank. That's a fine little saw...looks perfect for brush clearing and such. It should be cutting wood at least as long as you will be.

Every time I use my Stihl I get a big ol' smile on my face. Like you, I can only go so long before my back starts screaming at me, but having a nice saw makes the pain a bit more bearable.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Frank , That's why the good Lord gave me 3 very able body son's, LOL I crushed 3,4&5 in my lower back. Not adverse to hard work but I watch what I do and these days I do what I can.

When it comes to saving your back, here is a logger trick that always works...get the longest bar you can for your saw. Once you have filed it enough times you will instinctively keep it out of the dirt, but yet not have to bend over nearly as much. I run a 2 foot bar on my saw for that reason, and because when you are limbing you can snap limbs off ahead of you a few feet out...it makes a huge difference when you are trying to walk in the stuff.

As for your saw itself Frank, I think you will be very happy with Stihl. I run both Husky and Stihl and my Husky's last a year or two at most...my Stihl's are all over 16 years old and still going. Incredibly robust saws and I beat on them bad!! When the bar gets stuck in a log, I don't cut it out with another saw...nope just yard the log out with a skidder or tractor from around it. Heck in the last 10 years its never seen 2 stroke oil, I just dump in some regular 10w-40 and go for it...don't even measure. The same for the bar and chain oil...flushed hydraulic fluid from the tractors off the farm goes into that compartment.

As for the Easy Start...I have never heard of that before, but it sounds better then the old system they used to put on saws. It was a decompression button, but sticks would often get twisted off and get the decompression button stuck. I have had 2 saws that happened too and so the Easy Start sounds like it works via the recoil and out of the way of regular forestry operations. You'll love your new saw Frank though I'm sure. Definately a great toll to have. Congratulations.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Travis said, in part: "I think you will be very happy with Stihl"

I have two Stihl weedeaters. Actually, one is heavy duty, I call it a brush cutter. I use either a three blade thing on it that cuts heavy brush or a blade that has chain saw type teeth. With the chain-blade it will zip through a four inch tree like butter. And, it is more than 30 years old, still running strong and I used it very frequently when I had the farm. My other is used for grass trimming around the house, it replaced a Weed Eater brand El Cheapo from Wal-Mart that lasted less time than the life of a fruit fly. I'm a fan of Stihl.

I know you're going to love that saw.

A couple years ago I bought a Stihl 250C (Easy start equipped) and it's very nice to have. I especially got the Easy Start because I wasn't too long out of a major shoulder surgery and PT and wasn't sure how the shoulder would react to starting a chain saw. Well I'm glad to say that the shoulder recovered fully with no ill effects. But the Easy Start is still a sweet thing to have!

Enjoy!

John
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"