caution! wood gloat

Paul Downes

Today I went to take down a problem tree in a friends woods. This was a maple that had a widow maker hung up in it with the tree also split down the middle. We ended up pulling the dangerous half down with a cable and backhoe, Naturally a good portion of the wood in the split area was nicely spalted. Going to be some premo bowl blanks from that. We went for a walk into the woods and my friend says "oh yah, theres a nice cherry that blew down if you want it" This cherry has about 24' of trunk about 2' diameter. :D:D While i was looking that tree over I spied a large beech laying down. They cut it down last fall thinking it was hollow. Nope, solid right to the top and about 32" diameter and not much taper. He doesn't want that either.

This friend of mine complains that he can't keep up with all the tree blow downs and dying so he just cuts the tops and leaves the trunks to rot. I already have more than a dozen grandfather sugar maples lined up on blocks in his woods waiting for them to spalt. I will go back tomorrow and cut bowl blanks for a while. There is also more beech logs further back in the woods that I need to check for spalting. I am going to pay him something for these trees. He also wants a gun cabinet from a walnut I cut down in his yard about 3 years ago. When I had that tree sawed up we found all kinds of bullets and bird shot in the boards so the gun cabinet should look real cool.

Caution!wood gloat

I HATE YOU :( every time I see one of these gloats,there always halfway round the world :(:(:( Just kiddin buddy,you just happen to be in the right spot at the right time ,Go get em :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sheesh, ANYBODY that only makes BOWL Blanks from a 24" and 32" diameter tree and then posts it where a "FLATWORK" feller from tha Scrub Mesquite Prairies of West Texas can see it, should be SHOT BEFORE DAWN, :doh: with NO Blindfold either.:D

C'mon, LARRY,Help Me Out Here.:bang::bang::bang::eek::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I guess it must be "Compensation" fer puttin up with them cold, snowy winters.:huh: Congratulations on the fantastic haul. With that kind of luck, you Don't Even need to go to Las Vegas.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
hey norman,,, i know paul he's been to much place and he is bigger than me:eek: so i dont dare upset him and besides he offerd me some of his haul:) so i need to be nice to him:):thumb:

Actually I'm going to saw the cherry and beech as well as some of the maples into lumber. I might have to but off some of the logs so there will be some bowl blanks maybe. I usually cut bowl blanks from the ugly crappy burly sections that won't saw very nice.:D And oh yah, I know how too shoot back.:D:D:D We spent some time yesterday peeling some black birds out of the trees with a .17 WMR.

I was over to Woodcraft ( Grand Rapids) a couple of weeks ago to get a dovetail jig and a guy came to the door and sold some rather IMO crappy looking bowl blanks to the owner. I asked about them and he commented that he has a hard time keeping them in stock. I seized the opportunity.:thumb: I will be hauling some blanks over maybe tomorrow if he wants them.

I will be looking into the selling thing soon as I get a few things set up. I will have to check with the authorities on this forum. I guess I'll have to save the best stuff for forum members? :wave:

I'll take the camera with me today when I go to cut blanks.

hey norman,,, i know paul he's been to much place and he is bigger than me:eek: so i dont dare upset him and besides he offerd me some of his haul:) so i need to be nice to him:):thumb:

Arrrrgh....... 'n all this time I thot ya wuz Feerless.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Actually I'm going to saw the cherry and beech as well as some of the maples into lumber. I might have to but off some of the logs so there will be some bowl blanks maybe. I usually cut bowl blanks from the ugly crappy burly sections that won't saw very nice.:D And oh yah, I know how too shoot back.:D:D:D We spent some time yesterday peeling some black birds out of the trees with a .17 WMR.

OK, Paul, since yer gonna slice tha strate stuf, I giss yer fergivn.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I ben thinkin sum o them fluds up north wud flot sum logs down here ta Tx, but we don git no sprinkls, er runof 'n fer sur NO logs flotin by.:rolleyes::(:(:D

Ok Here's some eye candy

Here's a few pics of the bowl blank foray. There is also a picture of my latest blessing. Lauren Rae was born 03-26-09

Attachments

• img_2372 A.jpg
    img_2372 A.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 30
  • img_2366A.jpg
    img_2366A.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 33
  • img_2368 A.jpg
    img_2368 A.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 33
  • img_2350-1 A.jpg
    img_2350-1 A.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 26
A few more

A picture of the cherry log and one of the beech. Also a picture of the maple that produced the great spault. When we went out to look at those logs my friend had to kick a kid off his property who was poaching the wild leeks in the last photo. He told us that he was getting $3 per pound.

Attachments

• img_2358 B.jpg
    img_2358 B.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 30
  • img_2361B.jpg
    img_2361B.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 27
  • img_2360 B.jpg
    img_2360 B.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 28
  • img_2363B.jpg
    img_2363B.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 33
Paul,
You have a bigger truck than me... no fair- you can get more wood in it... my little Ranger was huffing and grunting when I got it loaded with the box elder the other day..

BTW, Nice wood yard.