kitchen cabinets

Ned Bulken

Hey gang,
I'm thinking on whipping up some new kitchen cabinets, nothing fancy, but they're needed in a hurry. The LOML doesn't know about these, but I'm thinking about knocking a set of base cabinets together, along with installing a 'new' dishwasher. I'm thinking on just using 1/2" borg ply with maple face frame and simple flat panel doors (her preferred style). The cabinets they're replacing are 3/8" ugly paper faced particle board.
I'm going to see if a friend of ours will loan me her garage so I can do a blitz cutting of all of the panels and pieces next weekend. I'm going to figure out a rough estimate for the maple involved for the face frames and doors today. I will be driving past an excellent lumber yard tomorrow, and if I can pick it up for a good price, I will get 100bf or so. I'll just have to bring along a tarp to go with the ratchet straps which live in the truck.

the real trick is going to be the countertop. we just saw an episode of 'Rezoned' the other day, and they used painted plywood with hardwood edging. we're planning on moving w/in the year, I might go for those, if not, I will spring for one of those preformed jobbers from the Borg. Simple straight run of cabinets, can't get much simpler.

Thanks steve,
I'll be sure and do the photo snap thingy. I'm going to do pretty basic cabinets, a-la danny proux' build your own cabinet books. One thing I will do is build the unified 2x4 platform. Danny strongly suggested the use of the individually adjustable feet for each cabinet, I don't think the budget will allow those.

the real trick is going to be the countertop. we just saw an episode of 'Rezoned' the other day, and they used painted plywood with hardwood edging. we're planning on moving w/in the year, I might go for those, if not, I will spring for one of those preformed jobbers from the Borg. Simple straight run of cabinets, can't get much simpler.

Ned,
If you elect to go with the preformed top make sure of the dimension of the top before you build the cabinets and don't base the cabinets based on the depth of the ones in the existing house. Some older homes had shallower depths then the newer ones. I replaced the top in my mothers 50 year old house, went down to orange Borg and picked up the top, brought them home and I ended up having to move the cabinets out two inched to accommodate the new tops.:doh:

Though I don't use the 2x4 platform method or the individual adjustable plastic legs, I ran across somewhere :huh: those legs at about a buck each.
I'll try to remember where.

Rockler.com and leevalley.com both have the leg levelers, but they're over $2/ea. I don't use them personally. You can rip 2x stock to what you need, make the frame, level it, secure it, then install your boxes. You can wait until last to install some 1/4" veneer just in case you need to shim between the box and the frame. It depends on whether the division between the box and the frame is visible from anywhere else besides you laying on the floor to see it. Don is right on about the counters. I like to make it so the counters stick out at least 1/4" beyond the door/drawer front to help eliminate spills from running down the face of your new cabs. Good luck!

Last edited:
One minor point...

I really like 1/2" baltic birch ply for cabinets. I bought 5 sheets today for $17.70 each, not bad for 25 square feet of high quality plywood. I find I have to be less careful screwing it together, as the ply's don't seperate quite as easily as construction plywood (I'm assuming that's what you meant by borg ply). Just a thought.

John

i'm not to the 'buy it now' point, but yes I'd prefer baltic birch, though I've had good luck with borg plywood. I built one freestanding (vs installed) cabinet already, and it was just basic birch ply from the borg 3/4" though, which is thicker than I will need for these cabinets.
I'm going to Hicksville lumber tomorrow, and if I can find maple for a good price, I'm going to stock up on 100bf or so. I just hope the weather holds through the weekend, as it will be well traveled by the time i get home.