I get to do a wood gloat too..

Chuck Ellis

I was a vendor at an "Arts & Crafts/Car Show" last year.. (it was actually more car show than A&C.. oh well... another vendor there was the local mushroom farm who was holding drawings to give away loads of their ol' used mushroom dirt. My lovely wife who loves mushrooms.. (personally, I can take or leave them) entered our name in the drawings and naturally we won two loads of 'shroom dirt. On our way to get the first load, we took a new route from our house and ran across this pile of wood on the side of the road. I'm not sure where all the wood came from, but it is on the road right of way. It looks like the county may be clearing some right of way...
Piles of wood on narrow and winding Tennessee roads are dangerous... I forget I'm driving and try to see all the wood.
I spotted a nice piece and on our way back stopped to take a closer look... I'm not really good at identifying woods and because of the marks I could see told my wife it was ambrosia maple...
That was about a week and half back. I had to buy a new chainsaw since my old one has bit the dust on the oak tree I tried to cut last summer and I was going to need a little help with loading since some of the pieces looked pretty large... My son and I took a ride this morning with my brand new chain saw... (I know it's a Craftsman, but fyi... Craftsman, Poulon and Husqavarna are all made by Husqavarna... so I have a red husky..:D:D)

After cutting the first cut off, I discovered this was not maple, it's box elder and it has FLAME..... and this will necessitate a trip to Woodcraft Store tomorrow... I've used up all of my emulsion and need to paint the end grain on all this wood.

I'm going to have lots of fun working on this..

Most of the rest of the wood in this pile, which stretches about 50 or 60 yards along the road is just trash, but there is a sycamore standing there that looks like it might be dead... at least it doesn't appear to be leafing out yet... sure would like some of that too.

Attachments

• The pile.JPG
    The pile.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 62
  • cutting 1.JPG
    cutting 1.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 66
  • cutting 10.JPG
    cutting 10.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 67
  • cutting 14.JPG
    cutting 14.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 71
  • wood1.JPG
    wood1.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 74
  • wood4.JPG
    wood4.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 74
  • wood3.JPG
    wood3.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 59
  • The load.JPG
    The load.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 61
  • Sycamore.JPG
    Sycamore.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Congrats on the haul Chuck! I've never turned box elder, but heard its real nice...looks like yours has some very nice flame. Make sure to post pics of the pieces you turn. :thumb:

wow!!! never seen flame before.that would look good as a table top about 3 inches thick with a cedar trunk for a stand. oh my that is just great i am glad i opend this posting to see that flame. oh my........

so...uuhhh...Chuck..when might you be in California...I can be in Vaughn's area..you bring some trees...we BBQ...buy some wood...we all leave happy...ya know?