Favorite smells?

Yep that's right, another "Favorties" thread by Westley. OK I won't put a limit to 5 this time so go wild. For some reason one of my containers of wood putty is sitting on my computer desk and I thought "man I LOVE the smell of this stuff"... so that's what made me think of posting this, weird I know :) I'll start out a few

-Minwax brand wood putty :thumb::)
-Motor oil and transmission fluid, wow is that just amazing
-Whatever cutting oil the steamfitters use on their cool machines that cut and thread the ends of pipes
-Freshly cut Walnut and Red Oak (even though I'm not fond of it)
-Popcorn

Hmm, favorite smells. Well, I'd definitely go with your last one, popcorn. But it has to be good popcorn, not the microwave stuff everyone seems to be using today. And if you've got a deep cast iron skillet to pop it in, even better.

Freshly cut grass (no allergies yet that I know of)

Fresh cooked donuts, as in just out of the fryer. My wife and I had a donut shop a couple of years back and nothing beats the taste of a donut straight out of the fryer. Within seconds it starts to cool down and loses some of that special flavor.

The scent of a fine cigar, just after it's been lit. I don't smoke, never have, but I do appreciate the smell of a good cigar.

Any perfume my wife is wearing. Couldn't have a list of favorite smells without that one in there. ;)

Hmmm,,,

1. Fresh baking bread.
2. Homemade Italian spaghetti sauce.
3. Genuine leather.
4. Fresh cut grass. (Have to agree with Terry) ;)
5. Nitrocellulose Lacquer. :rofl:
6. The aroma of ripe Concord grapes ready for harvest, in the evening.
7. The air after a thunder & lightning rain storm.
8. The Pacific ocean around the Hawaiian islands.
9. White pine boards being sawn.
10. Last, but not least, the smell of my wife's home cooking. :thumb:

I'm done, Sorry if I went overboard. :dunno:

Aloha, Tony

Some already mentioned, to which I add;
Almost anywhere just after a spring rain
Diesel fumes
Puppy breath
Freshly brewed coffee (though I can't stand the taste)
Freshly cut pine
Almost any kind of cake or pastry baking

Rennie, puppy breath is great! I'd forgotten that one.

Fresh cut (while spinning) burr oak
Pipe smoke (don't smoke myself but love the smell)
Grandma Voet's fresh baked bread
The air just before a thunderstorm, and after too Tony. :D
Motor oil (I'm not a gear head at all either, just love the smell)
Model glue...come on you know you all like it too! :dunno::)

You didn't limit to woodworking/turning. OK, here goes:
olive oil and garlic being cooked;
olive wood being turned;
clean fresh air, especially in spring;
blackpowder smoke, especially when accompanied with the coughing and choking part.
All for now, have to think on it for more.

as i agree with many of the others i have a couple new ones to add,, the musky smell of the woods on a cool damp mourning
the smell of fresh cut hay
the smell of lake as you headed out for a fishun trip
fresh cut cherry on the mill or TS
or the smell of the pines or cedars in spring or fall

You all listed abunch I like:thumb:

1- When I burn E-85 in my truck.
2- When a race car is running cam2 gas in its fuel system.
3- Loml when she makes her homemade spaghetti sauce an it cooks all day.
4- The smell of a brand new tool
5- The smell of tire rubber from a burnout.

way before westleys time, when I was in grade school, Im sure larry and quite a few remember, when they handed out papers,Im not sure what it was called, the blue ink, lexograph machines, whatever, everyone in the class would hold the papers up to their noses and sniff, and it smelled so good you wanted to eat it.
man that stuff smelled good, I guess over the years they figured they got enough kids attempting to get high and not know it so they switched to someething else.

I also like freshly shampooed hair when something like strawberry shampoo is used.

No fair ...

I have no favorite smells. :( :(

I have no smells at all. My smeller ain't never worked in all my life. I am olifactorily null.

Besides being immune to skunks and other various unpleasant odors, it also means I have LOTS of smoke detectors in the house and I'm the pickiest eater on the planet.

One other benefit is that I don't eat for pleasure. I eat to avoid starvation. When I'm not hungry anymore, I stop eating. It's quite rare that I over-eat.

Having only the primary flavors - sweet, salty, bitter and sour - it's quite a challenge to take me out to a new place for a meal. I'm quite sensitive to the mixing of those flavors as well as textures and temperatures. I get no joy out of spicy food. Asian food is lost on me, too. Thankfully, I have friends who understand most of the time. I hate being "handled" over it, but people feel like they need to accomodate me and I appreciate that much of it.

So - if you ever offer me food, please don't be offended if I decline! It's not you. It's me!! :p :p :p

...Im not sure what it was called, the blue ink, lexograph machines, whatever, everyone in the class would hold the papers up to their noses and sniff, and it smelled so good you wanted to eat it....

Mimeograph paper. I remember it well. ;) The Xerox machine ruined things for subsequent generations. :rolleyes:

A lot of the items already listed are on my list as well. Fresh-cut hay and grass, garlic cooking, just about any fresh baked breads or pastries, coffee brewing (even though I don't drink it), and several different types of wood when they're being milled all come to mind.

I'll add:

New-car smell
Hoppe's #9 gun cleaning solvent
WD-40
My hands after picking lemons or oranges
Piñon wood smoke
Just about anything that's vanilla scented
Jet plane exhaust

Rennie has it right....there's nothing better than puppy breath. Getting a fix recently with the 2 now almost 13 week old pups in rescue.
chocolate chip cookies
meat on the smoker
sharp cheddar cheese
really good blue cheese dressing
Jim. (who is now really hungary!!)

so was the smell alcohol vaughn? or some other solvent.

From what I understand, the solvent used is alcohol-based.

And in reading about things further, I think the printed stuff we remember from school was actually from a spirit duplicator, not a mimeograph machine. They're similar, but the spirit duplicator required no ink whereas the mimeograph machine did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_duplicator (Note the reference to Fast Times and Ridgemont High, and smelling exam papers.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimeograph

From what I understand, the solvent used is alcohol-based.

And in reading about things further, I think the printed stuff we remember from school was actually from a spirit duplicator, not a mimeograph machine. They're similar, but the spirit duplicator required no ink whereas the mimeograph machine did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_duplicator (Note the reference to Fast Times and Ridgemont High, and smelling exam papers.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimeograph

see i knew i recongnized it, and now i know why i still crave a version of it:huh: i was taught teo in scuoll:rofl: