Two new(old) lathes

Jeff Horton

Working on a deal with a fellow on these two lathes. It's 2007 so I am starting fresh on a new quota of good deals! So no one can say I am over my limit! :D

powermatic%20whole.jpg rockwell%20whole.jpg

Any of you lathe people see anything missing? I see a couple of small parts missing but over all these look like pretty complete machines.

Jeff

Frank, have you seen some of the others I restored? These are near pristine compared to a couple of them. :rofl:

The guys swears they are not as bad as the photos make them look. But I presume otherwise. ;)

How do you find all these old goodies? Not sure if I want to tackle a restore project or not, but I have never seen those sort of deals around here. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or just not looking hard enough. Seeing some of your work is inspirational though.

I am living right Ed. ;)

In this case, these two found me. They are few hundred miles away but someone approached me about a swap. He wants me to do some work for him and wants to swap some machinery for the labor. It's probably a bad deal money wise but I enjoy the work. So we are working on the details. Will see what happens.

Jeff

The only thing I see wrong with the Powermatic is that it's not in my shop, you dog! :D <--- That's me, green with envy. :p Sounds like a sweet deal.

What I didn't tell was this. The gentleman that has come into these two lathes wants one of them restored. He had talked to a couple of people about restoring the lathes for him but was not impressed with what he saw or heard apparently. He saw a post of mine on another forum about my restored shaper and asked me if I would be interested in restoring one of them for him. He offered me the other lathe since he didn't need two.

I have had to think on this one long and hard. While I enjoy restoring the machines, restoring one for someone else is a whole nother matter. Last night I emailed him my proposal and we will see what happens.

If we can work something out I would get the Powermatic 90. Not sure what I will do with it since I have a lathe I really like. I figure if nothing else I can restore it and put it for sale. PM-90's are popular lathes.

So Vaughn, you really want one? :) :D :wave:

...So Vaughn, you really want one? :) :D :wave:
Actually, I might entertain the idea (although I'd have to do a pretty major sales job on LOML). It would depend on A) the cost of the lathe and the cost and logistics of getting it from the Heart of Dixie to the Hills of Los Angeles, and B) the electrical power requirements. I suspect the distance between you and me would be an expensive stumbling block. :confused: Still, I'm open to ideas.

Tod, I have a 12" jointer somewhere in your area? Well in Arkansas, I am trying to get it moved this way. Looks like I am not going to have to drive over and get it. But if I did was thinking I would have to look you up.

Vaughn, looks like this deal may fall apart. He wants to keep the PM 90 and I don't blame him. I have no need for the Delta. Would rather keep my Broadhead Garret. I would take the Delta in trade but we would have to renegotiate. Seeing as I would have to restore it to make any money, or part it out.

I did some figuring and there is just to much work involved for $5 an hour. ;) So I don't know what will happen. If I can make some money at it thats great. But for that kind of money I would rather spend my time restoring my machines or build some furniture.

I fully understand your position, Jeff. When doing something for love instead of money, it's best if you get to keep the end result. ;)

I've got a co-worker who's said he'll swap me some woodworking help (milling some pieces for a boat resto he's doing) for a 12" Parks planer that's in pieces. I think that one will likely be my indoctrination into old iron, if I can ever get him to decide what he wants me to do for the boat. :rolleyes:

Got to get some sleep but wanted to add that Parks made a great planer. But there are couple of areas that had problems in them. Don't remember the details but I remember reading about these

A planner would not be my first choice for a first restoration. It is the most complicated piece of woodworking equipment in most shops.

Don't get me wrong and turn it down! Just be warned there is more than meets the eye in one. And if nothing else there is a demand for Parks parts out there. ;)

You also want to download Bob Vaughn's video on setting up a planer. You can find it on Google videos. He does an excellent job of explaining how to set it up and how a planer works. I need to find that and post the link as a sticky note. It's really good.

Jeff
Going to get some sleep now.