Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oak Vase

Oak Vase

This one is 7" high and 3" wide. Finish is 1 coat of danish oil and then 4 coats of general's arm-a-seal semi gloss. The interior is ebonized with vineger and steel wool mixture without any finish over it. Last pic is what I've been using for a photo setup, seems to work pretty well.

Again comments/critiques please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0246.JPG   100_0247.JPG   100_0248.JPG   100_0249.JPG  
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Nice vase, Jeff. Cool wood, and I like the ebonized interior. That's a nice touch.

Since you asked for critiques, I'll give you a few of my thoughts. As it is now, the form seems to be essentially two straight lines joined with a curved shoulder in the middle, with a bit of a reverse curve right before the lip. Personally, I'd like to see more of a continuous curve from the lip to the base. The shoulder could be just about anywhere on the form, but I'd prefer a smooth curve from the shoulder to both the lip and the base. You're getting better at this stuff, so I'm being more picky.

Of course, that's just one guy's opinion, so it's probably worth what you paid for it.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Nice vase, Jeff. Cool wood, and I like the ebonized interior. That's a nice touch.

Since you asked for critiques, I'll give you a few of my thoughts. As it is now, the form seems to be essentially two straight lines joined with a curved shoulder in the middle, with a bit of a reverse curve right before the lip. Personally, I'd like to see more of a continuous curve from the lip to the base. The shoulder could be just about anywhere on the form, but I'd prefer a smooth curve from the shoulder to both the lip and the base. You're getting better at this stuff, so I'm being more picky.

Of course, that's just one guy's opinion, so it's probably worth what you paid for it.
    Thank you Vaughn...that's just what I was looking for!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Jeff that is a good looking vase. Myself I would have had the shoulder higher and a more continuous curve from top to bottom.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I can only offer a WOW cause I aint done anything that good yet.

Boy the teachers are tough here eh!
    cheers

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    I can only offer a WOW cause I aint done anything that good yet.
    I can only offer a WOW cause I ain't done ANYTHING YET!

Your up on me Rob
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Good effort for sure Jeff, and the pics are really nice.

I have to agree with what Vaughn is saying, I think a little more fluid curve and you would have nailed it

It is a process, and you have to do some to get what you like, this one is done, so time for the next one!

At least you are turning, I'm not anywhere near getting any turning done
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Fine work... no critiques here. Your photo set up seems to be working just fine too.
    Dewey

Everything is better with inlay or marquetry!

Jeff,
    Nice piece of wood. I have some oak that I picked up last summer... it was part of a 52" tree and had a couple of burls... I'm beginning to work on some of it, hope mine looks as good as yours. I need to try the ebonizing technique on something one day soon... does it work on all woods or just oaks or woods with some acid in them... I think Oak has a little tannic acid in it.

Nothing wrong with your photo set up... I use something similar.. I have an old pale blue cloth that I drape over the front of my monitor and under the 24" florescent tube light on my desk, then let the camera flash help with the lighting... I get as good a picture that way as I do using my light tent and it's a lot less trouble to set up.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Chuck, I used the ebonizing solution on oak (works great), maple (not so great-turns it kinda dark gray, and walnut (works great but takes a few coats).

Thanks again to everyone for the comments/critiques.
    My Website