Oak Vase

Jeff Bower

This one is 7" high and 3" wide. Finish is 1 coat of danish oil and then 4 coats of general's arm-a-seal semi gloss. The interior is ebonized with vineger and steel wool mixture without any finish over it. Last pic is what I've been using for a photo setup, seems to work pretty well.

Again comments/critiques please.

Attachments

• 100_0246.JPG
    100_0246.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 100_0247.JPG
    100_0247.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_0248.JPG
    100_0248.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_0249.JPG
    100_0249.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 50
Nice vase, Jeff. Cool wood, and I like the ebonized interior. That's a nice touch. :thumb:

Since you asked for critiques, I'll give you a few of my thoughts. ;) As it is now, the form seems to be essentially two straight lines joined with a curved shoulder in the middle, with a bit of a reverse curve right before the lip. Personally, I'd like to see more of a continuous curve from the lip to the base. The shoulder could be just about anywhere on the form, but I'd prefer a smooth curve from the shoulder to both the lip and the base. You're getting better at this stuff, so I'm being more picky. ;)

Of course, that's just one guy's opinion, so it's probably worth what you paid for it. :D

Nice vase, Jeff. Cool wood, and I like the ebonized interior. That's a nice touch. :thumb:

Since you asked for critiques, I'll give you a few of my thoughts. ;) As it is now, the form seems to be essentially two straight lines joined with a curved shoulder in the middle, with a bit of a reverse curve right before the lip. Personally, I'd like to see more of a continuous curve from the lip to the base. The shoulder could be just about anywhere on the form, but I'd prefer a smooth curve from the shoulder to both the lip and the base. You're getting better at this stuff, so I'm being more picky. ;)

Of course, that's just one guy's opinion, so it's probably worth what you paid for it. :D

Thank you Vaughn...that's just what I was looking for!:thumb:

Good effort for sure Jeff, and the pics are really nice.

I have to agree with what Vaughn is saying, I think a little more fluid curve and you would have nailed it :thumb:

It is a process, and you have to do some to get what you like, this one is done, so time for the next one!

At least you are turning, I'm not anywhere near getting any turning done :(

Jeff,
Nice piece of wood. I have some oak that I picked up last summer... it was part of a 52" tree and had a couple of burls... I'm beginning to work on some of it, hope mine looks as good as yours. I need to try the ebonizing technique on something one day soon... does it work on all woods or just oaks or woods with some acid in them... I think Oak has a little tannic acid in it.

Nothing wrong with your photo set up... I use something similar.. I have an old pale blue cloth that I drape over the front of my monitor and under the 24" florescent tube light on my desk, then let the camera flash help with the lighting... I get as good a picture that way as I do using my light tent and it's a lot less trouble to set up.

Chuck, I used the ebonizing solution on oak (works great), maple (not so great-turns it kinda dark gray, and walnut (works great but takes a few coats).

Thanks again to everyone for the comments/critiques.

Man, your really turnin em out lately! Like others have said, I think it would look better with a continuous arc on the side, like a staved barrel is, or a keg, I think that form would go nice in oak with the "chared look" of ebonizing on the inside. Like a little wiskey barrel.

There are times that I really think I am "slow" in the head that is.

I am honestly stuggling to understand the critique that many guys have said about the curve on this piece. When i look at it I see a curve from top to bottom.:(

What do you guys all mean. Can someone mark up the picture somewhat to illustrate the point. Vaughn, Stu, Barry please. :dunno::wave:

Are you saying it should be more like a football on the side so making the side curve tighter (struggling for words) here.:huh:

I like the idea and the wood Jeff. :thumb: I thought of going the other way and putting the shoulder lower, maybe the bottom third so it gives the illusion of lift or rising, carrying the eye up. Just a thought IMHO. And the inside is really cool :thumb:

Man, your really turnin em out lately! Like others have said, I think it would look better with a continuous arc on the side, like a staved barrel is, or a keg, I think that form would go nice in oak with the "chared look" of ebonizing on the inside. Like a little wiskey barrel.

I now have a great idea for turning a "whiskey drink'n" glass...:D

Jeff,
Did you turn the inside of the vase or use a forstner drill.. or do like I do sometimes, forstner, then take scrapers inside.

Chuck, I have a 12" long 3/8" bit I have in a wooden handle that I use to drill in for depth. Then I use an Oland tool to turn the rest out.

Thanks again for all the kind comments.