Blowing off Sanyo steam

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
As I write this I'm entering my 5th (that's right 5) hour of being on hold waiting for Sanyo projector tech support. I came in to church this morning to put together the video for tonight's service. When I turned on the projector all I could get was a green screen with black vert stripes. That was over 5 hours ago. For most of the time since then I have been listening to the same 60 second loop telling me what information I should have available for when the tech picks up the phone.

Sanyo handles ALL of their own projector service. No local place to go - you have to ship it to them.

Being on hold for 5 hours is absolutely unacceptable and I can't think of a worse way to treat a customer that has laid out nearly 10 grand for the pleasure of owning one of their projectors. What adds insult to injury is that this projector was in their service center just 4 months ago for some new guts after displaying all kinds of strange lines on the sides of the image.
:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

Fortunately we have a back up, but it's only half as bright. Why does this always happen just before a big church holiday!:dunno:

I wouldn't be suprised if they weren't closed today. Happened to me once beforebecause someone forgets to change the message on the answering machine:doh:

When I turned on the projector all I could get was a green screen with black vertical stripes.

One. Did you try pressing the remove green screen with black vertical stripes button?

or

Two. Make lemonade. When the group gets there show the green screen with black vertical stripes and say "This film is about holding ourselves back from happiness. The green represents beautiful lush fields, and the black stripes represent the prison of our own making. We need to break down our personal prison bars in order to feel free."

One. Did you try pressing the remove green screen with black vertical stripes button?

or

Two. Make lemonade. When the group gets there show the green screen with black vertical stripes and say "This film is about holding ourselves back from happiness. The green represents beautiful lush fields, and the black stripes represent the prison of our own making. We need to break down our personal prison bars in order to feel free."
Did you used to live in California? :rofl::rofl:

So, Rennie, what finally happened? Did it get fixed? Did things go well anyway? :dunno:

Thanks,

Bill
After 5 hours and 20 minutes I figured I was just being a jerk waiting for someone that was on holiday to pick up the phone. I'll try again on Monday. I did send them an email via their website asking if some moron forgot to change the outgoing message on the phone system.:wave:

Sorry Rennie, I just couldn't resist!

Dan

Good thing you were in church. :rolleyes:
I guess if you have to go somewhere.....:D

I called back on monday and was talking to a human in less than 3 minutes.:huh: Seems they were closed on Friday and did forget to update the outgoing message. Needless to say I made my feelings known.:D

Down side - they think its the main board, about $1,200 to replace. I might hold off on sending it in as our church, like everyone else, is a bit shy on cash flow these days.:(

Rennie,
Sorry to hear about your problems. It's good that you had a backup.

If you are confident enough to open the unit and don't think that doing so will invlidate a warranty, I suggest that you disconnect and reinstall all components and connectors that are remmovable. Although sliding contacts have improved over the years, it is still possible that there might simply be a bad contact that is the cause of the problem.

Down side - they think its the main board, about $1,200 to replace. I might hold off on sending it in as our church, like everyone else, is a bit shy on cash flow these days.:(

Major ouch. How old is the projector? New ones keep coming out that are cheaper and cheaper. Depends on how far you are projecting of course, the longer the throw the more expensive the unit you need.

Got any electronics experts in the congregation who might be able to check if there are some bad capacitors to replace? Yeah, I know you're already thinking of all of these options...

...art

Rennie,
Sorry to hear about your problems. It's good that you had a backup.

If you are confident enough to open the unit and don't think that doing so will invlidate a warranty, I suggest that you disconnect and reinstall all components and connectors that are remmovable. Although sliding contacts have improved over the years, it is still possible that there might simply be a bad contact that is the cause of the problem.
Worth a try! thanks.

Rennie said, in part: "I called back on monday and was talking to a human in less than 3 minutes. Seems they were closed on Friday and did forget to update the outgoing message."

With modern technology available, I sometimes use more than one phone when a company puts me on hold like that.
We have: our land line; our Magic Jack phone and two cell phones, each with a different number. Most of our phones have a 'speaker' feature.
I'll put the one I'm using on speaker and call the tech support again with a differenet phone. Sometimes, I'll get through and hang up the first.
But, it's a shame you have to go through any of this nonsense at all.

What really irritates me is when the support person doesn't seem to pay any attention to what you are saying.
e.g. you tell tech "My monitor screen is all blue and I can't do anything."
tech: "And what is your problem?" and on and on it goes.......:bang:
I'm sure we have all been there.