Different tables

I just finished a plant stand and have started to build a couple end tables. The plant stand has walnut legs and apron's, with red oak top and shelf. This is the stand I was asking about oil / varnish blends .. in the finishing section.. I ended up going with a custom mix of Deft walnut oil, then buffed with minwax.

The end tables are red oak, and I thought I would post a couple pics.. before I ruined them with stain.. :doh:

I am going to put a golden oak base coat, then a few coats of clear poly, and then wax it out.. will post finished product in a week.. ( hopefully )

The end tables are from a plan in Woodsmith magazine. They turned out not too bad.. couple of slips, but I chock that up to being a tiny bit wiser now..:p

Attachments

• mini-IMG_1663.JPG
    mini-IMG_1663.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 51
  • mini-IMG_1683.JPG
    mini-IMG_1683.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 41
  • mini-IMG_1680.JPG
    mini-IMG_1680.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 38
  • mini-IMG_1678.JPG
    mini-IMG_1678.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 40
  • mini-IMG_1677.JPG
    mini-IMG_1677.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 41
  • mini-IMG_1674.JPG
    mini-IMG_1674.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 36
  • mini-IMG_1672.JPG
    mini-IMG_1672.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 41
Great work Doug!:thumb: The little table isn't my style but is a nice piece! I like the end tables. I don't have anything to say about finishes as I'm the worst finisher!!:D The first and second table I ever made were Shopsmith plans. I built the glass top mission style coffee table and the matching sofa table that was printed in about 94 or 95. I'll post those photos if I can remember what old HDD they're on:rofl: The tables turned out very nice. I do know one thing about red oak.... fill the pores when you finish it or you'll have little white spot in the finish! DAMHIKT:D

Nice job, Doug.:thumb::thumb::thumb: I seem to remember that plan, and I liked it except that where the trim pieces go down the legs to the floor seemed to "Need" something at the bottom. Maybe it was just me, but I thought it needed to end on a piece on the bottom of the leg that was just a little larger than the leg and the trim pieces sticking out.:dunno:

Thanks everyone,

I actually enjoyed making the small plant stand, it was the first time I had done splined mitered joints, connecting the legs to the aprons..

The reveal on the inside of the legs on the end tables took almost the same amount of time as building the entire table .. LOML.. says as my woodworking skills improve ... I seem to be getting more handsome....:rofl::rofl:

Thanks everyone,

I actually enjoyed making the small plant stand, it was the first time I had done splined mitered joints, connecting the legs to the aprons..

The reveal on the inside of the legs on the end tables took almost the same amount of time as building the entire table .. LOML.. says as my woodworking skills improve ... I seem to be getting more handsome....:rofl::rofl:

Look out Doug, Here it comes:eek::eek: "Honey, I bought some new shoes and there isn't anymore room for them! Would you build a large special something to keep them in?" :rofl::rofl:

It's either that or the sawdust is changing the color of your hair and filling in some of the line on your face:D:D:rofl::rofl:

Look out Doug, Here it comes:eek::eek: "Honey, I bought some new shoes and there isn't anymore room for them! Would you build a large special something to keep them in?" :rofl::rofl:

It's either that or the sawdust is changing the color of your hair and filling in some of the line on your face:D:D:rofl::rofl:

lol... you are probably right.. it is the saw dust..... too funny....

"Honey, I bought some new shoes and there isn't anymore room for them! Would you build a large special something to keep them in?" :rofl::rofl:

My skills aren't near as good as anyone else's on here and my wife has already asked for more cabinets in the kitchen and a closet within a closet (we have a very large walk-in closet in the master bedroom). I'm going through cheap pine 2x4s like yesterdays news working on my jointery. :D

Finished

Okay, I finally finished the end tables. I used a blend of 2 parts pecan & 5 parts Golden Oak oil base for the first coat, then applied 3 coats on the legs and aprons, and shelves and tops got 5 coats of semi-gloss clear poly, wet sanding with 400 after the third & fourth coat, and 600 after the fifth coat. I finished off with hand rubbed paste wax .. LOML says I am getting more handsome ... even without the sawdust..:rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• mini-IMG_1701.JPG
    mini-IMG_1701.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 13
  • mini-IMG_1703.JPG
    mini-IMG_1703.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 12
  • mini-IMG_1704.JPG
    mini-IMG_1704.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 13
  • mini-IMG_1702.JPG
    mini-IMG_1702.JPG