Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Passions outside of woodworking

Passions outside of woodworking

Some of the recent posts coupled with some frustration on my part in the shop of late, have started me thinking about hobbies and passions we might have away from the workbench. For me it's music, specifically my trumpet. I've been playing for 30 years and never grow tired of it. Just like with woodworking, I get frustrated at times when I can't do what I see others do or what I want to do but those times when everything comes together more than makes up for it.

My trumpet paid for college (music scholarship), paid my bills for a while, helped me through the military (drum and bugle, honor guard, etc), and helps me keep my sanity now. If I can't toot I'll go make some sawdust and if I don't have an opportunity for sawdust I'll go toot. I still play in my church and for special events for veterans and military events, etc.

So, what are your passions away from the table saw or lathe?

Mine's the guitar. Regardless of whatever artistic pursuits I may attempt, I'll always consider myself a guitarist above all other skills. Unfortunately, for the past few years I've not picked one up and played nearly as much as I should. My current home office/studio is pretty cramped, and it's just not real conducive to playing the guitar. So I end up out in the shop instead, using the lathe as my primary creative outlet.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I actually write stuff. It's really the only thing I do well. Oh, and I've done some gardening.

Of course, my only true passion is Doorlink, but we won't go there...

Oh, and about the trumpet: some of those military musicians are awfully good. There's lots of competition for chairs in their bands round these parts...

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 04-12-2009 at 04:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Unfortunately, for the past few years I've not picked one up and played nearly as much as I should.
    That's when you've just got to go and do it. I actually stopped playing for nearly 10 years. When I was younger, and more foolish than now, I'd always said that if I couldn't devote the time to music that it needed, I'd quit cold turkey. I sold all my horns and regretted it before walking out of the store. My wife took pity on me and bought me a trumpet about 8 years ago. I've been loving it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    I actually write stuff. It's really the only thing I do well. Oh, and I've done some gardening.
    Consider yourself blessed. Creative writing isn't easy to do.

There's lots of competition for chairs in their bands round these parts...
    Before joining the Air Force as an electronics guy I made it through several levels of auditions for the Air Force bands. I often wonder how my life would have turned out if I'd joined as a musician and not an electronics guy.

I don't have any.

I used to bowl several times a week, but that was it. I seldom get excited about woodworking anymore, either. I'm going to try my hand at some 'fancy' turning to see if that rejuvinates me.

I actually write stuff
    Me too. So I've combined the two and I occasionally write a woodworking article for Canadian Home Workshop magazine - 2-3 a year maybe? It's fun, and helps pay for a few tools.

Last year, long distance cycling qualified, as I put in a ton of km training for a two week bike trip I participated in. We're just getting into spring here, so I'm still not sure if I'll manage to get back out doing long distance cycling or not. Shorter trips I enjoy alone, but longer distances really require other riders to make the ride fun.
    There's usually more than one way to do it...
    www.wordsnwood.com ........ facebook.com/wordsnwood

mine would be bow hunting and fishing and not in any specific order, the fishing has taken a back seat as this wood working thing has taken over more of my time..i have been many places after the critters and have fished in some great places as well.. the thrill and the solitude both are just as appealing.. there is nothing better than watching nature in her grandure, and not on the tube...never was good enough to make money at it but i eat well the wood working fills in any voids i have left...
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I run into burning buildings. i joined the fire department when i turned 40. went to alabama fire college and then became an EMT something i wanted to do my whole life.

Good thread Terry!

My passion of late has been Freemasonry, I've 'run the chairs' and am finally the Master of my Lodge, (President). That has really kept me hopping the past 4 months, and should continue to do so until Next June. I love almost every minute of my time invested there.
    -Ned