Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small coup d'état

A small coup d'état

I had a small coup in my house yesterday. For several weeks now the drain has been running very slow in our bathroom. I finally told my wife not to wash her oil paints there as that was the reason why it was clogging up. (As a side note I didn't tell her in the beginning though I saw the potential problem from the start). Time was a little short so it took me a while to get to it but finally yesterday I got a round tuit and did the job. But not before my wife talked to some of her other painting friends and asked them what they do. Well one of her friends informed her the same problem occurred at her house and she had to call a plumber in. Cost: 200.00 to fix a plugged drain. So I took the thing apart yesterday and found what amounted to congealed gunk resembling a long, black snake. She was impressed. A little less though when I said that'll be 200.00 please. All joking aside she now understands the cost of labor when it makes a house call.
    Last edited by Alex Reid; 04-13-2009 at 01:50 AM.

Yeah, for some reason my wife balked when I told her to give me $20 for moving the lawn. That's what we were paying the gardeners every week until I started doing it, so I don't understand her disagreement.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

This trend concerns me. I have built several pieces at my wife's request. I typically work on commission. I have yet to receive payment. In fact, I have been notified that I am dreadfully behind on production. I have begun to suspect that my wife is an IRS agent masquerading as the sweet, young woman that I married.

Uhoh! Here she comes....you didn't see me on the internet....as far as you know, I have been in the shop all day....and the end table is nearly complete!!! Hush, hush, wink,wink.

JB
    JB

He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I got a feeling when he stops whittlin', something's gonna happen." -- Cheyenne, Once Upon A Time In The West

Alex, that story sounds SO very familiar

Recently, one of the tenants in the L shop building got a new washing machine, the company she ordered it from, Sanyo, removed the old machine and installed the new machine, but when they hooked up the new machine, the faucet leaked, badly, seems the seal around the spout of the faucet was toast. they told the tenant that they could have a plumber by to fix it in a jiffy, costs, $100. the tenant knew to ask us first, I went and looked, yep, the seal is toast.

Walked the 100 meters to the local hardware store, bought the seal, took my crescent wrench with me, and replaced the seal, cost, about $1.50

I gave the $1.50 receipt to the monster in law, and she was impressed (SHOCK!) because she was told that a plumber would cost $100 to fix it......... still, I did not see any of the rest of the $98.50
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've been making little paper clip bowls with magnetic rings in preparation for an upcoming show. (I need some lower-cost inventory, and these bowls have sold well in the past for about $35.) So far, out of seven I've made, SWMBO has laid claim to two of them. Our agreement is that she gets right of first refusal for anything I make, and in return, she doesn't complain about all the time I spend out in the shop. I may have to start hiding my finished pieces from her.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post

Recently, one of the tenants in the L shop building got a new washing machine, the company she ordered it from, Sanyo, removed the old machine and installed the new machine, but when they hooked up the new machine, the faucet leaked, badly, seems the seal around the spout of the faucet was toast. they told the tenant that they could have a plumber by to fix it in a jiffy, costs, $100. the tenant knew to ask us first, I went and looked, yep, the seal is toast.

Walked the 100 meters to the local hardware store, bought the seal, took my crescent wrench with me, and replaced the seal, cost, about $1.50

I gave the $1.50 receipt to the monster in law, and she was impressed (SHOCK!) because she was told that a plumber would cost $100 to fix it......... still, I did not see any of the rest of the $98.50
    Stu:

In your case I'm sure she thinks you see it each time you gaze upon that flat black granite surface in the dungeon!

Saving us cash by fixing stuff myself (for me usually this is car repair) is part of our division of chores.

Oh I do hope Diane does not start thinking like that.

Next thing ya know she will start charging me for the laundry and runnin my errands for me.

You my friend are underpaid and under appreciated.

As for the rest of you guys this exchange between the wife and me was all tongue in cheek. I'm all too happy to do things around the house. Gives me purpose.

Stu this just cracks me up. I would love to be a fly on the wall when you hand something like that to the MIL. One tough cookie Eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I've been making little paper clip bowls with magnetic rings in preparation for an upcoming show. (

Eh Vaughn you should know the picture police are ever vigilant. I dont see no bowls.???

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Voisine View Post
    Oh I do hope Diane does not start thinking like that.

Next thing ya know she will start charging me for the laundry and runnin my errands for me.
    Leo I am with you. I think my accounts payable would be way bigger than my accounts reciveable if LOML and I were to get into balancing the books. Although come to think of it now mmmmmm..... no I will stay away from this one.

Great post Alex certainly brought back some plumbing memories.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JB Paul View Post
    This trend concerns me. I have built several pieces at my wife's request. I typically work on commission. I have yet to receive payment.
    JB
    I get paid. In trade.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com