nut and bolt in boxwood

when i first learnt how to chase threads by watching Allan battys video a few years ago my dad saw a picture of a nut and bolt which Allan had made. ever since then he has pesterd me to make one, so here it is.

DSCF5137.jpg

DSCF5136.jpg

DSCF5121.jpg

DSCF5115.jpg

the bolt is 3" long by 2 1/4" wide it has a hand chased 18tpi thread.

I will post a second thread with some workshop pics- because even with thumbnails it will be very photo heavy and you may not want to load them all in in one thread. heres a clicky link to it

Last edited:
Very neat project. Seems totaly useless but still very neat. :thumb:
Where didja get the boxwood? Isn't boxwood about as scarces as the Dodo bird?
Hand chased? You gotta tell us more and/or post pics on how you did it. They look so neat, I was sure you did it with a regular tap and die.

thanks Frank- boxwood is rare but you can find it if you look hard enough- I agree that this one is useless but its what my dad wants- I might do one that is also a box where i hollow out the male threaded part of the bolt and have a left hand thread to acess it by unscrewing the head of the bolt- maybe :D

Last edited:
Not only WoW and CooL!!!!!!!:eek::eek: This is an extremely hard project that looks deceptively simple and easy! Great job!!!! Also with the fine threads, it will tighten and hold quite well. Excellent, thanks for sharing!:thumb::thumb:

Got to disagree Frank the pure "wow, look at that!" factor is a real ice breaker in many instances :thumb:

Besides, being able to chase threads is also way cool :clap:

I do agree, I'd like to see some more pics and such as well :D

Stu, I'm not that bad a hard case. My comment was made, sorta, tongue in cheek. Even if not utilitarian, things can be fun and useful in that sense. With this, he demoed a technique we learned from. And that, indeed, is very useful. I, too, enjoyed the "Wow!" factor. The 'thumbs up' was an endorsement.