Just a plane question

Ed Nelson

Wondered what you guys thought about what my next plane should be. I have a #5 Stanley and my LV LA block was delivered this morning (can't wait to get home and play with it:D ). I am debating between a jointer, 7 or 8, and a smoother, 3 or 4. I also wanted to ask your thoughts on corregated vs. smooth bottom planes. I don't have any specific projects in mind at this time other than a jewlry box I'm going to make for the LOML. Thanks!

This is becoming one of my favorite lines. But no one knows your work and work style better than you.

For me I use my #3 more lots more than my #7 jointer. When I didn't have a power jointer I used the #7 more, but still used my #3 more than it. Next to my block planes it is my 'go to' plane.

I have a corrugated bottom plane, the #3?? I can't tell any difference between it and any others. YMMV of course.

the correct answer is one of each;) #1-8......then blocks-n-rabbits......then infills......then woodies.........:rolleyes:

jeffs right! only you know what you`re doing and what you need....big help eh?.....

My most used.
Block plane

I prefer the corrugated. Easier to flatten the sole if needed

Thanks Steve, That's basically what I was lookin fer!

Todd & Jeff, I don't know what I'm doing, I was hoping you guys knew:rofl:

Thanks for the help. Jeff your thoughts on the #3 are pretty much what I was looking for. I'm basically looking at rounding out my tools and for hobby stuff I am interested in doing more with hand tools. As much as I'd like to go to the LN or LV stuff I think the #5 & #7 will have to be older Stanleys from the bay.

ps. I want them all and I want them now! Unfortunately the checkbook is empty :-(

Thanks Steve, That's basically what I was lookin fer!

Todd & Jeff, I don't know what I'm doing, I was hoping you guys knew:rofl:

Thanks for the help. Jeff your thoughts on the #3 are pretty much what I was looking for. I'm basically looking at rounding out my tools and for hobby stuff I am interested in doing more with hand tools. As much as I'd like to go to the LN or LV stuff I think the #5 & #7 will have to be older Stanleys from the bay.

ps. I want them all and I want them now! Unfortunately the checkbook is empty :-(

Fully understand that one:eek:

I've got some spares

Hey Ed,

I've got the LV BU Joiner, BU smoother and medium shoulder plane along with some old Stanley #5 and #4 1/2 plus a low angle block plane.

The BU smoother and 4 1/2 get used the most followed by the block and then the BU joiner. Most of my work is solid wood case goods; desk, cabinets and tables. The BU joiner is wonderful for flattening panels followed by one of the smoothers. The block plane just knocks off sharp corners. The shoulder plane does a lot of different tasks, from fitting tenons to adjusting the depth dadoes cut by the tablesaw. The #5 i use for taking the high spots off rough lumber before it goes through the jointer but it's my least used plane.

If i had just the #5 and a block plane, I'd be looking for a 4 1/2 as my next plane. I really like the extra width it provides because i can camber the blade and still take a wide, fine shaving. I know you said money is tight but if you can afford it, the LV BU smoother will be the most versatile smoother choice because you can alter the cutting angle to suit various woods.

Hey Steve, what spare planes do you have?????

Brian :)

Hi Ed,

Really, the idea of obtaining tools based on upcoming projects is the most useful way to gather them.

Given you mention a jewelry box, I would think a good #3 would be a more useful addition to what you have. As an alternative, the LV LA block can have a handle and knob added to it for use as a small smoother. It is almost the length and it is about the width of a #3. It's a way to extend its functionality.

Take care, Mike

Thanks guys for the input. Mike, I hadn't even thought about the handle and knob for the block. The jewelry box is going to birdseye maple and mahogany. This is my first try with the birdseye and I'm not sure how well any of my planes will work with it. I am thinking I will be doing a lot of sanding and scraping. Should work great with the mahogany though!

Tod, are you offering up any smoothers? If so, What ya got and how much do you want for them?

Last edited:
Hey Ed,

I've got the LV BU Joiner, BU smoother and medium shoulder plane along with some old Stanley #5 and #4 1/2 plus a low angle block plane.

The BU smoother and 4 1/2 get used the most followed by the block and then the BU joiner. Most of my work is solid wood case goods; desk, cabinets and tables. The BU joiner is wonderful for flattening panels followed by one of the smoothers. The block plane just knocks off sharp corners. The shoulder plane does a lot of different tasks, from fitting tenons to adjusting the depth dadoes cut by the tablesaw. The #5 i use for taking the high spots off rough lumber before it goes through the jointer but it's my least used plane.

If i had just the #5 and a block plane, I'd be looking for a 4 1/2 as my next plane. I really like the extra width it provides because i can camber the blade and still take a wide, fine shaving. I know you said money is tight but if you can afford it, the LV BU smoother will be the most versatile smoother choice because you can alter the cutting angle to suit various woods.

Hey Steve, what spare planes do you have?????

Brian :)

All sizes and conditions from 3's to 8's. Hovering around 80 some:eek:
Stanleys and Bedrocks

i`m still lookin` for an early style 4-1/2--8 tote in good shape? pre 1908..

I'll go look again. I got several in before my roof fell in:(

I have forgotten about them.

I sent several to Steve Knight for patterns. Knobs and totes. He is going to reproduce them since Mike in Katy gave it up.

I'll get back with you