Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova Lathe

Nova Lathe

Someone on the list sent a e-mail to me about my Nova DVR XP. I am on the road and my laptop just computer crashed. I am on the hotel computer now. If you can e-mail me back with your question I will be glad to answer it. Sorry my hard drive just quit. I am taking it in to see if they can get the info off it.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sucks about the HDD dying, hope you can get you data from it
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Mine did that too. It was too late for mine though. Nothing that could be done with out paying $500-$700. Just wasn't worth that kind of money to me. Still have it in case I remember something that is worth that kind of expenditure.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

Yep I found out today it would run $600 to $800 to retrieve the data. Then there is a chance they may not get it all. Sucks.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Yep I found out today it would run $600 to $800 to retrieve the data. Then there is a chance they may not get it all. Sucks.
    Bernie,

All may not be lost. I'm not much for laptops, but when I have a desktop drive problem, I've been successful putting the old drive in an enclosure and reading the data off to the new, working machine. It's pretty much what those companies do. Their prices are based on what the market will bear, not on how much it actually costs to do the work. Here are some examples of enclosures: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Course, it depends on what's actually wrong, but most often such things are the result of os software failure, actual hardware failure is far less common.

It's worth a shot, maybe...

thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 04-15-2009 at 04:27 AM.

Bernie,
    I've only had one lap top and never had a problem with it. But after we moved up here, the wife's motherboard died on her machine... we put a new one in, and it also died, so I bought her a new machine. I had the old hard drive installed in the new machine as an auxilliary storage unit and have been slowly moving stuff over to the new drive. Soon as I finish, I'll formate the old hard drive and leave it for overflow data if she fills the main HD.... Know you can't do that on LT, but if the drive isn't dead, the tech might be able to hook it up as an external and transfer data that way.
    I'm not a great tech on these things, so I may be full of it here too...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Can't say anything about Bernie's, but the tech did all of this with mine. It would not run enough to be recognized by the machine it was connected to. My one shot was to freeze it and then try to boot up my computer and copy any files I could until it quit. Never would boot. My only hope now is to take it to a data recovery outfit who will disassemble the hard drive, load the disks into their readers, and make copies as best they can onto cd's. Bill is right in that the price is not based on any kind of reality. They charge the big prices because we'll pay it to get what ever it is that we have stored on that hard drive. Reminds me, I've got to make back-ups of all my pictures on this computer. My wife would divorce me if I let them get lost.
    Working flat so I can play round,
    Doug Miller

Repentance Is The
    Prerequisite For
    Gods Forgiveness

We had a laptop die a while back, and I bought this cable thing that plugs into any HDD and hooks it up to your computer via a USB cable, it worked well.

That might get you your data back (the cable I bought came with a fairly decent data recovery software) but the issue of backing up your new HDD is to be addressed. I paid the $50 for a years worth of online back up using www.carbonite.com they have a 30 day free trial. Once it is set up and running, you don't even notice it is there. You can also access your files online from anywhere is you need them.

For me, the $50 a year is well worth it.

I also have external HDD backing up each computer, the last one I bought was 1 TB, and it cost about $100 That is a whole lot of space to fill

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett;156091...but the issue of backing up your new HDD is to be addressed. I paid the $50 for a years worth of online back up using [URL="http://www.carbonite.com"
    www.carbonite.com[/URL] they have a 30 day free trial. Once it is set up and running, you don't even notice it is there. You can also access your files online from anywhere is you need them.

For me, the $50 a year is well worth it.

I also have external HDD backing up each computer, the last one I bought was 1 TB, and it cost about $100 That is a whole lot of space to fill

Cheers!
    I recently installed TaxCut software, and they offered a free year's worth of Carbonite service. I was getting ready to sign up, then I read the fine print and saw it was for 2 GB of storage space. That wouldn't even hold all my photos, let alone everything else. Can you selectively back up only specific folders?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    I recently installed TaxCut software, and they offered a free year's worth of Carbonite service. I was getting ready to sign up, then I read the fine print and saw it was for 2 GB of storage space. That wouldn't even hold all my photos, let alone everything else. Can you selectively back up only specific folders?
    As I understant it, Carbonite backs up the HD, all of it.
    When Yahoo recently discontinued it's free Briefcase, I had to find another back-up for my writing. I found Mozy. It gives a certain amount of storage space free then charges for more. You must upload, therefore, it is selective, storing only what you want stored.