Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0555X vs. G0513

We now divide our time between southwest Florida and southwest Vermont.

Grizzly G0555X vs. G0513

I had pretty much settled on the G0555X; with freight and the riser kit, it would cost about $740. Now I see that Grizzly's eBay site is offering the G0513 at $770 with free shipping. The 555X is plenty of saw for my needs, and I like that it has cast iron wheels and a nice resaw fence. But I'm tempted by the bigger saw. I'm planning to order as soon as we get to VT in a week or so.

Advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

Tony

http://grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513
    http://grizzly.com/products/G0555X
    Last edited by Tony Maio; 04-14-2009 at 08:53 PM.
    The optimist says the glass is half full.
    The pessimist says it's half empty.
    I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

For another $30 you are stepping up to a completely different class of machine. I have the G0513x2 and it is so much more ... hmm ... industrial ... beefy ... massive ... than my Jet 14". Just looking at verious specific parts, it's clear that they are completely different classes of machines.

The tensioning spring, for example. You could probably fit two of the Jet tension springs INSIDE the coil of the Grizzly spring and still have room. It's made from much thicker wire and is far larger than even the Cobra replacement spring I put on the Jet. It's a monster!

The wheel bearings. The Jet's wheel bearings, while sufficient, look measely compared to the massive bearings on the Grizzly's wheels. They just have that much more ruggedness to 'em.

The tension adjuster is another major difference, but I don't think it's an equal comparison since the mechanisms work completely differently.

I'm not sure how similar the G0555x is to the Jet 14", but they're certainly not miles and away different. Every 14" bandsaw I've seen has that same spring and wheel bearings. These two factors alone would be worth the extra $30.

I can't say I've ever run into the throat on my Jet 14" before, so the extra few inches of throat aren't all that valuable to me but they could be to someone.

My only gripe with the G0513x2 that I have is that changing blades requires an allen wrench whereas my Jet has all thumbscrews for adjusting the guides. Minor pain and something I will address soon enough anyway.

I think you'd be really missing out on an opportunity if you passed up the 513, personally.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

I have the Shop Fox equivalent of the G0555X, but I'd jump at the chance of having a G0513.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

for $668.55 you could get the Go555, riser block kit, lamp and the resaw fence deliverd. Just a thought.

I have the G0555, and for the price, in it's class, you get more bang for the buck than with any other 14" around. It is fine. But, it is lacking some features of the 'X' model.
    However, Jason, very succinctly, nailed the arguments for going with the G0513 seventeen incher. At that money, I believe you would regret staying with a 14" model.
    Personally, I don't see that it really is much of a decision. 17 wins, IMHO.

i have the shop fox W1706 (G055X) and in the last 4 years wished i would have got the 17" way more then once. even with the riser you are looking at bigger motor, wider blades (resaw), beefier parts everywhere. if the price was close i would say "no brainer". if you have the space...

I've got two saws - a lighter weight machine similar in some ways to the 14" cast machines you see everywhere (even though it's a 17" machine, it's not heavy duty like a modern 17" machine), and a big 20" machine. It's hard to really compare the two, they're so different. That said, the 20" machine will do everything the 17" can do and more. I can't say that for the smaller lighter machine.
    Is there any reason you wouldn't buy the larger saw?
    paulh

Ask an owner; no contest, get the 513.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Griz-BS-height-003.jpg  
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

+1 for the 513. It's a whole different kettle of fish...

thanks,

Bill

We now divide our time between southwest Florida and southwest Vermont.

Thanks

I appreciate all of your input. Space is a bit of a factor, as is the fact that my shop is in the basement. You have me pretty well convinced that the larger saw is the way to go; I'll look things over when we get there, and decide then. Again, thanks.

Tony
    The optimist says the glass is half full.
    The pessimist says it's half empty.
    I say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.