Grizzly G0555X vs. G0513

I had pretty much settled on the G0555X; with freight and the riser kit, it would cost about $740. Now I see that Grizzly's eBay site is offering the G0513 at $770 with free shipping. The 555X is plenty of saw for my needs, and I like that it has cast iron wheels and a nice resaw fence. But I'm tempted by the bigger saw. I'm planning to order as soon as we get to VT in a week or so.

Advice would be welcomed. Thanks.

Tony

http://grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513
http://grizzly.com/products/G0555X

Last edited:
For another $30 you are stepping up to a completely different class of machine. I have the G0513x2 and it is so much more ... hmm ... industrial ... beefy ... massive ... than my Jet 14". Just looking at verious specific parts, it's clear that they are completely different classes of machines.

The tensioning spring, for example. You could probably fit two of the Jet tension springs INSIDE the coil of the Grizzly spring and still have room. It's made from much thicker wire and is far larger than even the Cobra replacement spring I put on the Jet. It's a monster!

The wheel bearings. The Jet's wheel bearings, while sufficient, look measely compared to the massive bearings on the Grizzly's wheels. They just have that much more ruggedness to 'em.

The tension adjuster is another major difference, but I don't think it's an equal comparison since the mechanisms work completely differently.

I'm not sure how similar the G0555x is to the Jet 14", but they're certainly not miles and away different. Every 14" bandsaw I've seen has that same spring and wheel bearings. These two factors alone would be worth the extra $30.

I can't say I've ever run into the throat on my Jet 14" before, so the extra few inches of throat aren't all that valuable to me but they could be to someone.

My only gripe with the G0513x2 that I have is that changing blades requires an allen wrench whereas my Jet has all thumbscrews for adjusting the guides. Minor pain and something I will address soon enough anyway. :D

I think you'd be really missing out on an opportunity if you passed up the 513, personally. :)

I have the G0555, and for the price, in it's class, you get more bang for the buck than with any other 14" around. It is fine. But, it is lacking some features of the 'X' model.
However, Jason, very succinctly, nailed the arguments for going with the G0513 seventeen incher. At that money, I believe you would regret staying with a 14" model.
Personally, I don't see that it really is much of a decision. 17 wins, IMHO.

i have the shop fox W1706 (G055X) and in the last 4 years wished i would have got the 17" way more then once. even with the riser you are looking at bigger motor, wider blades (resaw), beefier parts everywhere. if the price was close i would say "no brainer". if you have the space...:thumb:

I've got two saws - a lighter weight machine similar in some ways to the 14" cast machines you see everywhere (even though it's a 17" machine, it's not heavy duty like a modern 17" machine), and a big 20" machine. It's hard to really compare the two, they're so different. That said, the 20" machine will do everything the 17" can do and more. I can't say that for the smaller lighter machine.
Is there any reason you wouldn't buy the larger saw?
paulh

I appreciate all of your input. Space is a bit of a factor, as is the fact that my shop is in the basement. You have me pretty well convinced that the larger saw is the way to go; I'll look things over when we get there, and decide then. Again, thanks.

Tony

Now Tony you know you can't use the excuse of your shop being in the basement because look at what Stu gets down in the dungeon:thumb::rofl:.

Hey, i got my 20" 800 lb cast iron Crescent band saw into my basement. Just get a big shoe horn, a tub of axel grease, and a few beers.
One other thing, if you think you'll want it on a mobile base, get one with the saw - it's a pain to add one later.

Now Tony you know you can't use the excuse of your shop being in the basement because look at what Stu gets down in the dungeon:thumb::rofl:.

Hey, i got my 20" 800 lb cast iron Crescent band saw into my basement. Just get a big shoe horn, a tub of axel grease, and a few beers.
One other thing, if you think you'll want it on a mobile base, get one with the saw - it's a pain to add one later.

All so very true, and the advantage of it going down to the basement is gravity is on your side :eek: :D

well if it came down... it can come back out you have come alongs and rollers:thumb: plus the heavtier build is gonna with stand the moving of it in or out of the basement better than light frame work would

I'm still leaning toward the bigger saw, but there's a BIG difference in the logistics of installing the saw in the basement. For the big one, I'd probably need two or three of my sons, a case of Sam Adams, and then settling the arguments about how to do it correctly. On the other hand, the smaller saw could be separated (I'd have to do that anyway to install the riser) and moved down in four pieces of roughly equal weight. My wife (or my 9 year old grandson) and I could handle assembly. But I'm still leaning toward the big one.....:dunno:

Tony

Again, speaking from experience, with the table removed, me (6 foot 170lbs) and a friend (more normal sized) moved it without any issue. It was easier to just pick it up than to fight the dolly over the bumps. You could remove the motor if required. There is a pad-eye on top. You can lift the whole machine by this if required.

Yep ... me (33yr old, 6', 150lbs) and my buddy (65yr old, ~5'10', ~190lbs) did just fine. The trick was layin' it on its back and takin' it easy. The pad-eye on the top could be used with a rope to keep gravity's rate of travel under control. Maybe a strip of ply for it to ride on - or two 2x4's (the idea is to avoid blocking the steps so you'll have a firm footing no matter what) and let it slide down that way. Pretty easy, there. You got the height for it?

I'm glad you're still leaning toward it ... and if you were in the neighborhood, I wouldn't think twice about givin' you a hand gettin' it downstairs. It's certainly doable.