New Here Please help on Painting and finish with spray guns.

Terry Wellen

Hello all this is my first post and I hope it doesn't sound stupid. I went and bought a Harbor Freight HVLP one of the 43430 sprayers and a critter gun from amazon and was planning on spraying things like pine shelves etc... I was going to spray the shelves with some type of primer then spray with a water based latex then some type of poly, etc... but I was reading somewhere that latex stays kinda sticky or rubbery (not a real hard coat) so what you folks recommend for spraying pine shelves that gets a nice coat of paint that dries fast. Also what would you seal it with, or get it so its shiny smooth? Also will the guns I bought work for this? What type of paint is good and poly or clear?
Any suggestions are Greatly appreciated. Thanks and glad to be here.

Hey Terry, Got nothing for you on the spray guns. An Acrylic enamel is what I always use on painted wood. It dries hard and doesn't stick. Others will chime in. Welcome to the family! :wave:

pro-mar acrylic enamel is one paint i like. i have never put poly over paint i could see an up side to from a durability stand point. i have sprayed it in a cup gun but it was not HVLP and i had to thin it alot to spray. i have sprayed poly also but it likes to run (stays wet to long). i dont know how a latex paint would do with the traffic of a shelf

I'll third the vote for acrylic enamel. I don't know the particulars about spraying it with an HVLP gun, but I think it'd spray (and work) better than the latex.

I think Stu has some experience spraying paints with his HVLP gun. Hopefully he'll chime in. I've only sprayed dyes and WB lacquer with mine.

And welcome aboard, Terry. :wave:

Welcome to the Family Terry :wave:

I've used my HVLP Wagner gun (much like the HF unit) to spray latex on some selves, brands are not important, as I'm in Japan, and the brands are completely different. I just thinned the heck out of the latex and it sprayed OK, but I understand you can buy some additive "________" (sorry, I forget the name) to make the latex flow better and you get a better coverage.

I don't see the need for a clear coat over the paint, if it is a quality paint, it should not need a clear coat.

Cheers!

Latex paint is not a good choice for shelves it has a blocking problem. If you don't choose to use an oil based paint any of the acrylics would work fine. It is not necessary to top coat paint it is more than good enough, how often have you seen a house painter apply a top coat of varnish over paint ?.

Regards
Jerry

Looks like acrylic enamel is the choice. I will try and spray it with one of the 2 sprayers. Also I like Jerry's comment about never seeing a house painter apply a top coat of varnish over the house when done, duh i probaly would have done it, but now I realize that I do not need to. THANKS for all your suggestions. Very glad to meet all of you and hopefully I can give you all some tips someday on something.

You can spray a few coats of shellac thinner 25% or acrylic Lacquer sealer and then spray a few coats of Acrylic Lacquer, be your best way my 2Cents. I use M L Camble products, good product and found all over.