Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BIG BIG Dog

BIG BIG Dog

Lookin at Tod's avatar reminder me of a recent dog “situation”. My daughter and her little pug pup (see my avatar) were visiting over Christmas. As I was setting at the kitchen table doing what I do best (eating) I heard what sounded like thunder. Turned out to be a big mastiff jumping around on my back deck. It had gotten loose from the neighbors, spotted the pug, and was trying to come through my sliding glass door. He was pushing on the glass so hard that it was budging in. All I could think was…He’s breakin glass and coming in to eating our little pug. (pug had gone into hiding…he’s young but smart)

As I opened the sliding door slightly to politely “ask” him to leave…. he got his big head inside and was forcing his way in. It turned into a fight and I think I was loosing. I literally had to grab him, wrap him up and push him out like he was a blocking sled. (Football finally came in handy…wonder when calculus will start paying off)

When I finally got him out on the porch it occurred to me that he could eat me…but it turns out he was ONLY 11 month old and was very VERY playful. The neighbors heard the commotion and sent their daughter (12 years old) over to rescue me. She mounted “Hammer” like he was a horse and rode him home. I was feeling downright manly from my “battle with the beast” until being rescued by a little girl.

I guessing he was about full grown length wise but will probably fill out a little more as he gets older but MAN…. Those dogs are massive and strong as……heck. Great animal with a good disposition.

I can just picture that! We had some neighbors that had a Mastiff. Brought him up to meet ours when he was about 6 weeks old and mine thought what a cute little dog. It seemed to confuse mine that he kept getting bigger and bigger! My understanding is that they are known as the gentle giants, but if they throw their weight into you they are a challange!

john, i just laughed my rear off!.......these guys are known as the gentle giants....my 2y/o plays with mine
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

John,

I was waiting for tod to comment...

All I thought about as I read your post was encountering tod's THREE MASTIFFS coming at you full steam!

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

I could just imagine someone trying to fend off a dog like that only to have a little kid have there way with a dog.
    Tod, How much due they tip the scales at? Im geussing around the 200 mark. My huske thinks hes a lap dog and is right around 100# . Thanks for the good luagh.

A couple months ago, I had occasion to put both the Saints through the doggie door when they really didn't want to go... and one of them was sickly. It was all I could do, and I'm not a slight lad.

You can teach 'em who's boss when they're puppies, but if they choose to forget that once they get to weighing a couple hundred pounds, it can be a pretty good struggle.

KC

On the other end of this, is last year when I was walking my two and a half year old son at the lake front near where we live and some "as%^(#e" was way off in the distance shouting something at me while his rotweiler was charging towards us.

The dog stopped only 6 feet away from us just to turn around and run back to his master who was still too far away to even recognize the happy go lucky smile on his face. I proceeded to put away my leatherman knife back into its belt hold and try to get my heart and nerves calmed down.

It's not the dogs that bother me, it's the simpleton owners who think we're all telepathic in knowing their dogs are the sweetest little things on the planet.

Infuriating enough is the fact that in Ajax where I live, there are two designated run free for dogs park. This guy obviously feels it does not apply to him or he can't read.

Sorry for the rant on this, I read this post, and I guess it really upsetted me at the time, and to this day, 'cause my son is worth more than any dog out there as far as I'm concerned. I actually like dogs, but those who are not well heeled and their owners who have no sense about them, should be slapped silly and deported to nitwit island.

Venting a bit here...cause it scared the feces out of me at the time

Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Dube; 01-05-2007 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Grammar correction more or less

al, they run close to 200#.......
    kevin, i don`t think it`s wise for folks who own large dogs to live in the city, it causes problems for both the dogs and owners.....suburbia is somewhat better but as a rule big critters need big spaces.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Grocercy bill?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    al, they run close to 200#.......
    kevin, i don`t think it`s wise for folks who own large dogs to live in the city, it causes problems for both the dogs and owners.....suburbia is somewhat better but as a rule big critters need big spaces.
    whats them set u back fer feed bill tod? i bet they eat a bunch to maintain there girlish figure or are the critters in your area on there menu? kinda like turnin a cow out to pasture
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

I generally like most dogs & cats as well as other animals.

When I was a kid we raised registered Shorthorn beef. We had several dogs that would get together & chase our stock. One of our calves was worth at that time $700 at birth. Dad called the sheriff & asked what he could do. The sheriff said shoot them dead & don't let them get off the property bury them.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart