Tormek & Jet wet grinder

Chuck Beland

I have a question what would be the differences between the Jet & Tormek? I know of some people who have the Jet but the Tormek tools???
Does anybody have both???

I can only comment on the jet grinder - got a good price on the web and bought it. It works perfectly fine for me and my turning tools - The Tormek of course is more money and im sure a much better grinder. For me the price is what pushed me and im am satisfied......i know it dont help much

Dan,
Every little bit helps thanks.:thumb: I'm thinking of maybe putting my pennies away for one of them. I remember a discussion on SMC about this but I can't find the dang thing. :huh:

Chuck I have the Tormek and love it. I bought the woodturning and handy man accessories. I didn't buy the Jet because 4 or 5 people that I know that have the Jet have had big time problems with theirs especially with the shaft. They had to break the stones to get them off because Jet doesn't use SS shafts. Yes Tormek but to me well worth it.

I have had the Jet for 2 years and it is a great machine. I have used both machines and no real significant difference to me. Far as the shaft goes I just use a little grease on mine and have never had an issue. I just cleaned my up this morning and have had water in the trough for over a month and took the wheel off an no rust at all.

I use the Tormek jigs for turning and they work very well and would recommend them to anyone with any of the wet sharpeners. I have the Jet knife jigs and the platform and they work very well. I just think the Tormek setup for gouges with the TTS100 is the way to go.

I got my Jet for $165 with 2 drawer base, cover and free shipping on one of those crazy Amazon deals. With all the jigs and dressing tools I have less in my setup than the basic Tormek.

I have nothing against the Tormek. They are great machines. The deal I got on the Jet was the key for me. By the way the original Tormek did not have a stainless shaft. With just good habits and practices of proper cleaning and lubrication there should be no issues with either.

Good Luck

Alan