Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When have you ever used...?

When have you ever used...?

"Football finally came in handy…wonder when calculus will start paying off."

This statement by John Whittaker in his "BIG, BIG Dog" thread made me wonder who, outside of an education setting, has had occasion to solve a quadratic equation and why?:
    Last edited by Ron Jones; 01-04-2007 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    who, outside of an education setting, has had occasion to solve a quadratic equation and why?:
    I've solved it on ocassion, but I am an Engineer after all.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
    .. who, outside of an education setting, has had occasion to solve a quadratic equation and why?:
    I usually just smear some ointment on my quadratic equation until the problem is solved.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

College calculus and differential equations? Hardly ever, once every 5 years or so.

High school algebra (includes quadratic equations), geometry, trig? Fairly often, monthly.

Middle school math skills? Weekly.

Grade school cut and paste skills? Daily

J
    Apprentice Wooddorker
    Future Amputee

Your automobile is continually doing calculus for you. (It was doing it long before an onboard computer had been invented.)

e^(pi*i) +1 = 0
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 01-05-2007 at 11:27 PM.

I'm working my way through all the math and algebra right now and these kind of discussions used to discourage me. I'm still going to work hard at something and do it to the best of my ability even if it's something I only use four times for the rest of my life. God gave me a wonderfully created mind, I'm gonna use it.

I use it quite often in optimization, teaching the class to run the software and evaluation of the end results.

Back in my engineering days I used at best a small percentage of what was fed to me in math courses. Most of the calculus I took in college was primarily used in the physics and upper-division EE courses to prove theorems. In practice, I rarely used it. Mainly algebra, trig, and a bit of differential equations. Also some Fourier functions in certain analog signal-chain design.

Now it's basic arithmentic stuff, and a little algebra and trig. Knowing the trig identities for a right triangle is helpful in WW for determining tapers and such when all you have is a calculator on hand. Anyone remember SOHCAHTOA?

Cheers,

Kevin

I'll admit to having never used the quadratic in real life...

But I have used calculus once or twice. Trigonometry I still use almost daily. What always annoyed me about the way math is taught is the blanket assumption that a subject like differential equations is so advanced that it must be taught as a single subject after calculus. Years after struggling with complicated word problems in high school, I find out that they are exceedingly easy to solve as differential equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Brady View Post
    ...Anyone remember SOHCAHTOA?
    Yeah, but I hadn't heard it in about forty years.

Anybody else?

Hint: It's trig related.
    Jim D.