Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sideboard that was butchered somewhere along the way

Sideboard that was butchered somewhere along the way

I got this in a few weeks ago and found angle iron embedded in one of the legs and nasty varnish brushed on and heavy brush strokes left.

All repairs were made including replacements of veneers to legs and edging, w the leg was reshaped and 1" dowel inserted. Sealed with shellac, 5 coats of lacquer sealer and 5 coats of Clear Lacquer the polished buffed with comet/3M supper fine pad and waxed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGA0356.JPG   IMGA0364.JPG   IMGA0362.JPG   IMGA0428.JPG   IMGA0344.JPG  

Nice work Dave, one heck of a save for sure!

I often wonder why some people even bother trying to save these pieces, but from the looks of your end result, I guess it can be worth it.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

What a rescue! Beyond my talents, you did a fantastic job!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Very nice Dave ! Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    I got this in a few weeks ago and found angle iron embedded in one of the legs and nasty varnish brushed on and heavy brush strokes left.

All repairs were made including replacements of veneers to legs and edging, w the leg was reshaped and 1" dowel inserted. Sealed with shellac, 5 coats of lacquer sealer and 5 coats of Clear Lacquer the polished buffed with comet/3M supper fine pad and waxed.
    is every piece built out of fine lumber savable?

is it just that if a piece is so in need of work, the price to save it would stop people, or is it you that just says, nope, cant do it for any amount of money.
    sorry for being nosy in your business, but Ive always wondered about restorations.
    Last edited by Stuart Ablett; 04-17-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Fixed a "QUOTE" tag :)

The price can deter some, but the clientele I work with if the piece is of value to them be it monetary or sentimental most will have it done. I approach it this way; I ask the customer how they would like to see their piece look? What is it they would like for me to do?
    Then I get into the process and the hourly fee. I will not do a half a$$ job, it's either do it or not. Most piece can be done for $1,500.00 or less but some have run as high as $5000 K like this Damascus game table which I replaced over 200 pieces of Mother of pearl, ivory and ebony. The substrate was very week and the table had to be entirely reconstructed as well. It all depends on the customer. Once they see what I can do usually I get the job.

Last edited by Dave Hawksford; 04-17-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Dave, are you sure you got the right before photos to go with that after picture? It sure doesn't look like the same table. Good job!

Amazing how just the finish makes the piece look totally different. I know it is the same piece in the pics, but my eyes don't really agree.

Great work, Dave. I think we should start calling you the "Wood Un-Butcherer".
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You do some awesome work Dave. I have a piece of furniture I need to repair. It has a chunk of veneer missing from the leg about 3/4" square. I think when I get ready to repair it I'll have to hit you up for some tips.

Exellent save. It no longer shocks me how some try and "FIX" furniture.