wobbly Mini chuck problem

Thanks for the correction Jeff. I guess I read something wrong. I think I will give Frank a chance to respond before I turn the spacer.

I agree with Barbara. That in time, any material of that nature would eventually sneak the wobble back in again. Metal should be the best way.

Aloha, Tony

Yep, my "tomorrow" post is going to be another day or two late.
As said, I was making smelly smoke this weekend. Will post something on that later.
I'll take a measurement in a day or two for spacer needed.

Well Frank, I didn't have any aluminum of size to make your spacer. :eek:
Sooo, I made it out of 4130 steel. Should do the trick. (I hope) :rolleyes:
:rofl:
I'm still waiting for the Pen Blank box to get here, then I will take a picture and send it all along to you. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony :wave:

As some of y'all might recall, my PSI Mini chuck just wouldn't work right on my (relatively) new big Grizzly lathe. The way the chuck and/or lathe spindle was/were designed, the threads ended before the chuck seated squarely on the back of the spindle. Thus, the chuck had a serious case of wobble city. The serious types would call it run out or something equally boring. ;)
Well, I tried to remedy the situation with spacers. I tried cutting some from Delrin, Nylon and even Osage Orange, all to no avail.
Then, my friendly, next door neighbor ;) (5,000+ miles), Tony B. offered to make me a real spacer properly machined out of genuine metal that would (might) do the job.
Finally, put on and tried. It does do the job, and does it well. :D
The chuck runs smooth and true. :thumb: I can now use it again.
I really like this little chuck, don't even curse the tommy bar set-up. Very handy and useful tool.
Thankee, Tony.

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 21
Boy Frank,

I am sure glad that it worked for you. I was a little worried that something might not fit right. I was sure that the spacer would correct the wobbling problem, as long as it fit over the spindle treads, and it hit on the shoulder of the spindle. Looks like I hit it on the money on both counts.:thumb: Thanks for the picture.

I was happy to help, my friend. Hope you enjoy turning with it.

I'm on a s.....l.....o.....w..... dial-up connection at my Sister's in Buffalo. (yeah, New York):rofl: Man, I sure miss my cable connection.

Aloha, Tony (waiting to be back in Hawaii in a couple weeks)