Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you get inspected?

Do you get inspected?

My shop is between two towns and I get inspected by the county fire Marshal, in the 13 years at this location I've they have dropped in twice. The last time I was asked to buy a fire prof locker for the 55 gal drum of lacquer thinner.

The tread talking about fire alarms got me thinking of all the shops who have had fires in the DC metro area. Reg's are a good thing. Keeps you honest and aware of the impending hazards.

Shops which have or work with allot of Chemicals should have 3 most essentials idems;
    Fire alarms
    sprinkle system
    fire prof lockers

I'm only about 99% paranoid.
    Any g'bmnt types come around without a warrant or friendly smile, they will get a rude goodbye.
    It's an Ozark tradition, leave folks alone on their own place.

I live in Denton, Texas and ranched at Schulenburg, Texas.
    Frank that is essentially the way I grew up. But, now in Texas we have so much intrusion, The Tax Apprasial District is the worst. But, I have forund a nice smile and little simple mindedness will go a long way with the revinuerrs. Ray Gerdes

Frank my grandfather had a still down in your neck of the woods many many years ago. I know what you mean

But I do ware a smile , leave my doors open to anyone with a shot gun always near by. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hawksford View Post
    Shops which have or work with allot of Chemicals should have 3 most essentials idems;
    Fire alarms
    sprinkle system
    fire prof lockers
    Dave, I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a flammable storage cabinet and a oil waste can. They are pricey little buggers though. Still they are probably worth it. I just have a little shop (attached garage), but my small collection of paints, solvents, finishes and stains are a hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I'm only about 99% paranoid.
    Any g'bmnt types come around without a warrant or friendly smile, they will get a rude goodbye.
    It's an Ozark tradition, leave folks alone on their own place.
    The most frightening sentence in the english language...."We're from the Government, We're here to help".
    Jesus was a Woodworker

Bill , you can buy the cabinets used at about 1/3rd the cost. Google them.

Frank you really make me laugh "99% Paranoid". "An Ozark traddition to leave folks alone". Could you come and tell that to my NN preferably with one of those black power guns and full dress. They will think they are about to be invaded. First by an old country boy with a long grey beard that could be mistaken for something else, then by an apparition from the past armed with a historical rifle. It might just scare them into moving.

Dave thanks for the post. After having managed to get my dream shop the last thing I want to happen is to loose it due to some hazard, accident etc involving fire. Even if the insurance guys paid out handsomly which I doubt, I just would not want to rebuild it all again.

I have been thinking of this aspect and have an idea to use a half size metal stationary cabinet and seal it up well with some mods.
    cheers

It would be interesting to see what actually "right" they have to come on your property and check for such things.

Here the Game Wardens abuse their power by quite a bit. I read the regulations on what they can and cannot do, and I would say that 90% of what they do is actually consider trespass by law. They continue to do it because most of the people are afraid to stand up to a person "in power". I'm not. I have nothing to hide, but right is right and wrong is wrong. Simply saying, "can I see your warrant", typically sends them packing. I farm right and do things accordingly and they should as well. If they would like to waste their time, waste the judges times and come back with paperwork in hand, they are going to be sorely disappointed, but if they think they can just ride around on my land and do some snooping...sorry that's trespass.

To answer your question though, yes my house and shop is inspected every year by the State Fire Marshall. That is because I am a foster parent and that is part of the requirements. I have no issue with this since I am the one that decided to be a foster parent and have a contractual, and moral obligation to be safe and compliant. That's not a privacy right that's lost, it is a voluntary situation I allow by agreeing to being a foster parent. Hopefully I don't sound like a hypocrite by saying all this.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Frank you really make me laugh "99% Paranoid". "An Ozark traddition to leave folks alone". Could you come and tell that to my NN preferably with one of those black power guns and full dress. They will think they are about to be invaded. First by an old country boy with a long grey beard that could be mistaken for something else, then by an apparition from the past armed with a historical rifle. It might just scare them into moving.

Dave thanks for the post. After having managed to get my dream shop the last thing I want to happen is to loose it due to some hazard, accident etc involving fire. Even if the insurance guys paid out handsomly which I doubt, I just would not want to rebuild it all again.

I have been thinking of this aspect and have an idea to use a half size metal stationary cabinet and seal it up well with some mods.
    Rob
    Actually, some of my buddies did visit yer country in the years following 1776 and delivered some very unmistakable messages. Borders would be different today if they hadn't made the trip.