Do you get inspected?

I have been visted twice in the last year. Needless to say we do not agree on many things. Two things they get upset about is: fire cabinet not in the finish area and not haveing gfi on all the first floor outlets. Cabinet is on the way. For the outlets, well they are not going to happen.:D

We haven't had our house inspected, but we get yearly brush clearance inspections from the Fire Department. I've never seen them when they do it (they appear to be drive-by inspections), but we would get a notice letting us know if they think we haven't cleared enough. I haven't gotten a letter, but some of our neighbors have. They also periodically check our street for illegally parked cars. We're in a fire zone, so one side of the street is off-limits to parking on "Red Flag" days when the fire danger is extraordinarily high.

My cousin lives in so. Cal (Garden City). During one of the big fires a couple years ago, I called her to see if she was OK. She said there was fire all around her house but she was fine. She had cleared her land while most of the neighbors hadn't. Many of those home were lost, hers is still OK. That brush you have out there must burn like crazy. What is the plant that causes all this trouble?

Al , gfi is good to have in the finishing / spray area, other then that na. I think I paid about 460 for my cabinet for a 55 gal drum, it was slightly damaged but new, You can get damaged or used ones for allot less then the new ones.

Yeah, I picked up a locker for $200.;) It is around 55 gallon. The company was upgrading and wanted it out of the way, plus my freind worked their. It should be here in a few days. The reason for the GFI, is it is a brick building. In this area they require GFI on ALL outlets being installed on the ground floor of brick buildings w/ cement floors. Even 240 line they want that way.

Last edited:
The reason for the GFI, is it is a brick building. In this area they require GFI on ALL outlets being installed on the ground floor of brick buildings w/ cement floors. Even 240 line they want that way.

Al,

I'm curious about why you consider this a sticking point? Every outlet in my shop is protected by a gfci. Doing this cost me all of 30 bucks (if you protect the first one in the run, everything 'downstream' is protected as well). There are still tons of ways for me to kill myself out there, but it won't be by getting juiced! :rofl::rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

I dont mind grounding outlets that are near water or near fumes, but installing GFI on all the lines would be a very costly job. At current there are around 15 -120 circuits and at 30 each.:eek:

The gfci breakers are expensive but the outlets only cost about $10 a piece. Like Bill said, just put one at the beginning of each circuit and your good to go. The 240 volt circuits will require gfci breakers.

...What is the plant that causes all this trouble?

The dried ones. :p

Seriously, it's a variety of weeds, grasses and brush. On our lot, it's mostly grasses (foxtails), but other places have heavier, woody brush. Eucalyptus, pine, and palm trees seem to burn real well, too.