Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I do not have a rubber Laminate roller

I do not have a rubber Laminate roller

I am going to make myself a router table and the plans I have call for a laminate top. I have the 3/4 Ply and the laminate along with the Contact cement, but how do I best get the laminate pushed onto the top.
    The plans call for a rubber roller wich I do not have and I am not supposed to buy any more tools, been spending to much. Is there something I can use thsat would be just as good? I have a 1" dowel, a paint roller?
    Any ideas woudl be great
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

Dan,
    A wood block and a hammer or mallet will do. The idea is to make sure the bond is made between the surfaces. Nothing magic about the roller.

Wes

Thanks Wes you saved my bacon. The roller may be a small thing but just yesturday I said I would not buy anything for two weeks and here I am thinking I needed a tool
    Thnaks for your help.

Dan
    Dan Thibert
    Leominster MA

You might be able to rent one at your local home store...I think the roller is more for helping work out the air bubbles than anything else...I was wrong once back in 1987 so that might not be true.

EDIT: Doh! I was typing while Chuck replied, it is for the air! Woot, still a good run since 1987 for being wrong!
    Last edited by Mike Grimm; 04-18-2009 at 03:00 AM. Reason: repost, anti spam
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

Forgive me for mentioning this if you already know it, but since this is new to you...

Be sure to let the contact cement dry on both surfaces as recommended on the can before putting the two parts together. With the cements I've used, I waited until I could press a thumb hard onto the glue and have it not stick. When you put the two coated pieces, have them lined up where you want them, since there will be no adjusting the pieces once they touch.

BTW, I've always used the block of wood and mallet trick.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Does "herself, the master of your wallet" have a rolling pin? You can use it. (between her swings at boinkin' your knoggin) As was said the idea is to apply pressure to make sure the laminate is deeply inbedded in the adhesive and that there is no pockets of air trapped under the surface. Work from the center outward pressing the laminate down as you remove the "stickers" you put down to hold the sheet off the glue untill it was aligned.

I did a similar task putting down those Peel & Sick tiles in the basement (some 20+ years ago) On my hands and knees (the way I greet my mistress) rolling her weapon of choice across the floor, and to date, it has remained adhered.

I have laminated several pieces over time and have yet to own a "J roller" like the DIY guys have on the tube.

I built the counter tops in my first home's kitchen.

I bought the laminate and adhesive from HD. I went back looking for a J-Roller and the helpful HD employee suggested rolling my car over it . . . I'm hoping he was joking.

I borrowed a J-Roller from a friend but the rolling pin idea is a good one.

Enjoy

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simpson View Post
    Does "herself, the master of your wallet" have a rolling pin? You can use it. (between her swings at boinkin' your knoggin)

On my hands and knees (the way I greet my mistress) rolling her weapon of choice across the floor, and to date, it has remained adhered.

Bill I love your sense of humor I am still
    cheers

4x4 with rounded corners works good.

Obviously, you'll need to get a lathe and turn yourself a proper laminate adhesion variable pressure air relief tool before you can proceed with this project.

Hope that you're able to be successful with all of the other advice folks here have given. Looking forward to seeing a pic of the completed project.

By the way - in the way my screen is setup, the title of this thread appeared to be, "I don't have a rubber ..." and I had to look.