Grizzly listened

Frank Fusco

Just got my new Grizzly catalog. Only got as far as the wood lathes when Mr. Balolia really grabbed my attention. They have introduced a new lathe, the G0632 that should capture a lot of the market. Wonder of wonders, this one has a two-range, belt adjusted (for high and low), variable speed motor that actually goes down to zero rpm. Comes with cast iron legs, weighs 440 lbs and costs $1295.00. I'll be considering this for myself this new year.

Got my Griz catalog today too, so I had to check out the new lathe. It does indeed look like a good package for the price. Wouldn't work for me in my current shop, since 220v power is not available, but it looks like Shiraz and Co. are paying attention to what the market wants.

With all my recent trials and tribulations regarding lathe belts, the Nova DVR XP is looking better and better all the time, and it runs on 110v power. Just gotta wait for LOML to hit the Lottery, I guess. Or sell a boatload of pens and bowls. ;)

Got my Griz catalog today too, so I had to check out the new lathe. It does indeed look like a good package for the price. Wouldn't work for me in my current shop, since 220v power is not available, but it looks like Shiraz and Co. are paying attention to what the market wants.

With all my recent trials and tribulations regarding lathe belts, the Nova DVR XP is looking better and better all the time, and it runs on 110v power. Just gotta wait for LOML to hit the Lottery, I guess. Or sell a boatload of pens and bowls. ;)

I would have to get 220 run from the box across the shop.
I jokingly mentioned the new lathe to my wife. She didn't laugh. :(
My sport shooting activities have dropped about 95% in recent years. I'll be selling some guns and putting the money into tools. A new lathe, maybe the new Griz, will be one of those tools.

The new Griz is a near exact copy of the Jet 1642 and is very nearly the same price. I haven't seen the new Griz in person but, if it were me, I would go with the time tested product at least for the first few production runs...

yup, the new bathroom material arived here too.......looks like they`re trying to jump into the euro market even more.....j/p combo and a small slider.....

The new Griz is a near exact copy of the Jet 1642 and is very nearly the same price. I haven't seen the new Griz in person but, if it were me, I would go with the time tested product at least for the first few production runs...

Checked out the Jet at Amazon, you are right. It does appear to be very similar to the Griz. Jet is rated at 2 hp, Griz at 1 1/2. Jet is about $600.00 more and requires an adapter to make spindle a 1"X8tpi. Another $30.00. But there is now a choice. When the time comes, I'll consider both. For me, a consideration is that I can get service and parts sorta locally from Griz.

I've got to say the Nova 1624-44 sure looks good and at just a tad under 1K, with a G3 chuck, and the stand, hard to beat, IMHO.

Cheers!

Couldn't find that product with that model number. Could you point me to a vendor? Thanks.

Found it. For the price, is definately something to consider. A couple limitations IMHO. Spindly looking legs, 29" between centers. But in the race. When the pocketbook is ready, I'll look closer.

Last edited:
I understand the stand is ROCK solid with the lathe on it, and the 29", well do your REALLY turn a lot of stuff longer than that? If you do, you can get a 20" extention, and be turning 49" :thumb:

I'm in the process of getting an extention for my DVR-3000, it will be nice to have the extra length.

Cheers!

I understand the stand is ROCK solid with the lathe on it, and the 29", well do your REALLY turn a lot of stuff longer than that? If you do, you can get a 20" extention, and be turning 49" :thumb:

I'm in the process of getting an extention for my DVR-3000, it will be nice to have the extra length.

Cheers!

Stu, you don't understand. We boys HAVE to be able to say "Mine is bigger than yours." :rofl:

Nova 1624-44

If you go the the Nova website the lathe is only available from Woodcraft until April 2007. "A tad under 1K" equals 1 cent under on the Woodcraft flyer I just received!

Nova 1624-44

I love my nova, unfortunately no time to play. Work is too busy. I'm taking a class this saturday so hopefully I'll be able to be more productive. I took the loml to Woodcraft and wow, I got a 1/2" bowl gouge she picked up a 12x12x3 bowl blank maple burl and said she wanted a salad bowl.
Wood is expensive!! Then she saw a stand for a grinder and said why don't we get this too. I think I need to take her with me more often.:eek: