Swap Goodies

I am glad you and your wife are pleased with the ice cream scoop Don; ice cream weather is right around the corner; can't hurt to push it a little.

I have enjoyed your turnings Don, and thought the pieces of wood were in good hands. As for the spalted piece, it is a piece I bought from my woodturner's club during one of our fund-raising auctions. I'd love to say I remember exactly what it is, but ... First guess maple, second myrtle. It may need stabilizing, but it is pretty.

The check for the Onrust Project is in appreciation of your tireless dedication to preserving our history. My hat is off to you and your fellow volunteers Don! :thumb:

Thank you all for your kind comments, all was sent in the spirit of "Family" woodworking.

Good Luck With That !

Don, I think those blanks should be disqualified, since they're not round, and this was a 'round' swap. :rolleyes: I hate to see you take the heat for showing such a flagrant disregard for the rules, so you can just go ahead and send those non-conforming pieces of stock to me. :D You do that, and we'll let it slide. This time. :rofl:

Great work, and a very nice gesture to go with it, Frank. :thumb:

I appreciate your concern Vaughn, but I think I'll hang onto the blanks for when I get a "round to it". :eek::D:thumb:
Oh wait, I just got a beautiful one from Frank !

Rob, I am aware of the meaning of Onrust and thanks for posting the link-I forgot in my post. I was told it translates to "restless" or even "troubled". I have not been to the worksite all winter and am itching to get back to it. The launch had been pushed up to sometime in May so they can participate in the 400th anniversary events of Henry Hudsons voyage up the Hudson River (1609). Fun project.

Thanks again Frank !:thumb:

the pens, the icecream scoop, the bowl, almost makes me want to go out an buy a mini nova. Im reorganining things, might make some room for one.....

nah........its best to limit my talentless efforts to one type of woodworking.
Id get addicted and make 68 pens a day.

Allen, anytime you want to come make pens, let me know. I'll set you up in the corner of the shop and you can have at it.

(no Larry, I'm not a spinny thing pusher, why do you ask?):rolleyes::D

The first rule of woodworking; "Every Shop Should Have a Lathe."

I had a lathe once, or more accurately, my dad had a lathe once. We used it to make legs or finials for the tables we were refinishing when they were either broken beyond repair or simply gone. I had an accident on it one day, a piece of wood came flying off. It broke the face shield I was wearing, knocked me out for a few minutes, and left me with a knot on my noggin about the size of a silver dollar. I haven't so much as turned a lathe on since then. I have the utmost respect and admiration for folks that use lathes, especially when they create works of art but I'm afraid a lathe isn't in my plans right now.

Don, I think those blanks should be disqualified, since they're not round, and this was a 'round' swap. :rolleyes: I hate to see you take the heat for showing such a flagrant disregard for the rules, so you can just go ahead and send those non-conforming pieces of stock to me. :D You do that, and we'll let it slide. This time. :rofl:

Great work, and a very nice gesture to go with it, Frank. :thumb:

Hey WAIT a minute.... *I* organized the swap so they definitely should be sent to *me* for inspection... Vaughn's just trying to be a pirate!

Allen, anytime you want to come make pens, let me know. I'll set you up in the corner of the shop and you can have at it.

(no Larry, I'm not a spinny thing pusher, why do you ask?):rolleyes::D

I am a pen fanatic. Not a pen turner, but Im obsessive with pens, and love the fatter ones.
Im afraid if I got started turning pens, Id turn and turn and turn, cause I could never have enough pens.

Boy, am I glad I can not post pics because I got more than the swap gift from Jeff Bower. He not only send me a lovely hollow form (Great gift as I am trying for a hollow form and now I have something to copy) He also sent me oe56'cl(*aet%#tp opps there goes the computer so I will not be bothered by any pirates trying to get my goodies!!! Will post again as soon as the computer starts to behave.
Syd

UPS brougt a package today from Dan Noren. A great loocking walnut hollow form vase.
I'm saving up to buy some tools so I might be able to learn to do some of this type turning.
Great work and thank you very much.:thumb:
Mark

Attachments

• P042209152404.jpg
    P042209152404.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 41
Ok.... I'm a little slow with the pics... things have been a lil crazy :thumb:

Here are the Mallets that Vaughn sent to Chuck
attachment.php

and I have to say I was totally in awe of the fantastic pen sent that I received from Nancy.... thank you immensely.... I've never had a personalized pen of my own before! (Says first annual on the box top... guess that means some one has to do this thing again next year!)

attachment.php

And here are some rocks from the family, one the left top to bottom is one of my LA county rocks from Vaughn, and the Canadian rock from Rob and my small puddingstone from Larry. On the right are same wonderfully smooth New Mexico Rocks from Nancy. Thanks for indulging me everyone!

attachment.php

Attachments

• tn_Swap Stuff 001.jpg
    tn_Swap Stuff 001.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 122
  • tn_Swap Stuff 002.jpg
    tn_Swap Stuff 002.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 184
  • tn_Swap Stuff 003.jpg
    tn_Swap Stuff 003.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Looks like the mailman has been busy lately. I came home today to a wonderful surprise in a box. Here's a picture of the beautiful vase/bowl that Ken Ward turned and sent me. He saved it from a firepit and gave it a whole new lease on life. I apologize for my photography skills. I'm afraid my pictures just aren't doing it the justice it deserves.

DSC00965.JPG

well i got a swap

from chuck buthavnt founf the pic yet... but i twas in the group shot of me and kalea& Chuck i got a mug and a bung,, which was the pirated choice weapon so i could ave some protection from the foes as i travel:) thanks again chuck:D will post a pic when i get mor time to do so

Here are the Mallets that Vaughn sent to Chuck

and I have to say I was totally in awe of the fantastic pen sent that I received from Nancy

Looks like the mailman has been busy lately. I came home today to a wonderful surprise in a box. Here's a picture of the beautiful vase/bowl that Ken Ward turned and sent me.

Beautiful gifts all!

Well done on the mallets Vaughn, since Stu is having so much difficulty, you might send him one. :rofl:

Nancy, Nancy, Nancy. Wow is all I can say about the pen and presentation box. What an exceptionally thoughtful and beautifully made gift.

And Ken! Holding out on us for sure. Beautiful form and execution. Good thing we are getting into spring and summer as you would be very cold with nothing to heat your home. Firewood? We don't have any firewood.