Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frogs have announced the arrival of spring

Frogs have announced the arrival of spring

Finally last night the frogs were seranading us and each other. The temperature during the day got up to 20C or 70F. This means that spring has finally arrived to southern Ontario.

The frog songs bring back memories of sleeping at my grandfather's house which was across the road from a flooded gravel pit. There must have been thousands of frogs there because they made a lot of noise.

We have frogs around here pretty much year round. LOML, who thinks all critters were put on this earth specifically for her to feed, gets envious when she hears the frogs singing in the neighbor's yard instead of ours. (The neighbors have a good-sized koi pond and waterfall, but we only have a little fake rock fountain, so more frogs end up at their place.) Of course the neighbors have about had their fill of frog singing, since it happens right outside their bedroom window. A while back, I answered a knock at our door to find our neighbor, which his hands cupped together, asking "where does she want this noisy thing?" He caught the little frog while cleaning his pond. He'd heard of my wife's frog envy, so he figured he could help his noise problem and make her happy at the same time.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You ought to hear the frogs here now that the rain has stopped for a bit. Last night they were so loud in the shop I thought they were inside under the workbench.

Round here - we call them peepers.

Hear them in the springtime, only.

Sure sign of spring.

Pretty soon we will be able to complain about how it's too hot.

Hi Leo, after this last winter, ( and I love winter ) I am afraid to say I wont be complaining about the heat. As long as we dont get rain every weekend like we did last year. It was a very long and snowy winter here this past winter. Pushed my limits a tad.
    cheers

We generally skip straight to Summer around here. I formally welcomed summer by taking the insulation barrier off of my gable fan opening in the shop. Not much worry about "heat" escaping anymore till Winter comes back around November.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    We generally skip straight to Summer around here. I formally welcomed summer by taking the insulation barrier off of my gable fan opening in the shop. Not much worry about "heat" escaping anymore till Winter comes back around November.
    Are you teasing us northerners Glenn.
    cheers

this little guy was on my kitchen window one night.... I have loads of pictures of the bullfrogs that hang out in our patio pond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stickyfrogsmall.jpg  
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Here we have frogs year round. The ones that are bad are called Coque frogs. (Koe-key) Named for the sound they make, very shrill. They came from Puerto Rico and have over run the island. There are some areas near by that they are so loud that people have to close there windows to hear the TV or talk on the phone! Then there are cane toads that's another post!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Spring has sprung ... on Copeland Pond

I've never seen nor heard a frog on Copeland Pond, but it is somewhat bucolic. We had a couple of Mallards land last week, and they've been back a few times ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mallards.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	31272

and there's Mother Goose up on the bank on her nest (I'm assuming that's a nest)...

Name:	MommaGoose.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	31273

BTW, Copeland Pond isn't really much of a pond. It was the railway access corridor to Canada Wire, and Lincoln Electric that's been dug out for soil remediation (guessing creosote, kerosene, diesel, etc). Eventually it will be a rear access road to the property to the East, also currently going through a soil remediation process (smelting). My shop, formerly a boiler room, is under the 2 chimneys on the right, and the nest is directly across the "pond".

Name:	CopelandPond.jpg 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	31274
    Last edited by Ed Thomas; 04-20-2009 at 06:23 PM.