Buckeye & Blackwood

Mark Cothren

Buckeye burl sittin' on a Blackwood pedestal. I love the color and figure in Buckeye burl - one of my favorite woods to turn (just hard to find a good piece that is affordable).

Feel free to offer critiques or suggestions.

BuckeyeBlackwood01.jpg

BuckeyeBlackwood02.jpg

Nothing can be said. It is a gallery quality piece. I hope your shield is intact :D

I agree with Jim this is excellence at its best. The design, artistic element and the grain patter, choice of stem this is a real work of art.

Where and what did that wood look like before.:clap::clap::clap:

I would even go further, after having admired many other pieces turned here of equal skill excellence, I particularly think this piece could be properly photographed and sold for prints when correctly framed.

Last edited:
It is lovely. I love the combination that you've used. The two woods work well together. A personal opinion, I prefer the base on goblets to be a bit flatter and just a little larger in diameter. Just gives the piece a bit of a more stable appearance. Sure isn't anything to sneeze at as is. Well done.

The bowl of the goblet is wonderful but the stem seems to be a little small. I have great difficulty sizing such things or judging if they are correctly sized.

Overall the piece is quite delicious and should be snapped up by anyone who appreciates beautiful wood and good turning.