Extension wings for my new scms

Alan Bienlein

I searched the internet and this forum looking for ideas for my scms station to add extension wings. couldn't find anything till 2 days ago I came across a website with what I was looking for. This is what I started with
4-18-09 009 (800 x 600).jpg
I proceed to cut out 2 torsion boxes and notched the pieces like the cardboard that used to be between the cans in a case a beer along time ago. Don't know if it was the correct way but it did work very well:thumb: I did the assembly on top the saw because that is the flatest surface I have.
4-18-09 010 (800 x 600).jpg
4-18-09 012 (800 x 600).jpg
4-18-09 011 (800 x 600).jpg
I used door hinges to mount the torsion boxes to the scms station because thats what I had.
4-18-09 013 (800 x 600).jpg
4-18-09 014 (800 x 600).jpg
To adjust the level of the extensions and to help locate the fold out support arms I used 1/4-20 phillips bolts. I drilled a 1/4" hole straight down in the support and drilled a 7/16" hole about a 1/4" deep to accept a nut. Under the extension wing is a washer that is slightly smaller than the head of the bolt. This helps to locate the support arm in the proper place and give it a good bearing point.
4-18-09 019 (800 x 600).jpg
4-18-09 015 (800 x 600).jpg
Here is the saw with everything folded up
4-18-09 017 (450 x 600).jpg
and with the extensions out and ready to use
4-18-09 016 (800 x 600).jpg

The saw is sturdy enough to have only one extension out if need be
4-18-09 018 (800 x 600).jpg
With the scms al the way to the left there was no problem with the extension
4-18-09 021 (800 x 600).jpg
But since you can cut up to 57 degrees to the right I needed to cut the torsion box back at an angle to clear
4-18-09 020 (800 x 600).jpg
And a picture of my homemade stop that I can also use on my crosscut sled
4-18-09 022 (800 x 600).jpg
I still have to add a tape measure and trim the front of the extensions and the top of the fence with solid wood. All in all I'm very pleased with the outcome of this project:thumb:. Now there is one less thing loml has to help me with:rofl:.

Looks great, Alan. :thumb: Are the inside ends of the the wings level with the saw table when they're folded up? In other words, can you do a quick cut in the middle of a 6' 2x4 without putting up the wings?

Looks great, Alan. :Thumb: Are the inside ends of the the wings level with the saw table when they're folded up? In other words, can you do a quick cut in the middle of a 6' 2x4 without putting up the wings?

No I need to trim them down abot 3/8":doh:. Probably take care of that tomorrow. Thats what happens when you just start cutting and don't make any plans or take measurements. But when I do trim them I will make sure they are even with the top of the saw:thumb:.

I had a request to show my saw from the side to show how it operates as far as the slide is concerned.
The first pic shows the 2 black knobs that you loosen or tighten depending on what you want to do with the saw
4-18-09 028 (800 x 600).jpg
This one locks the slide bars to the motor carriage
4-18-09 024 (800 x 600).jpg
This knob locks the slide bars to the main body of the saw
4-18-09 027 (800 x 600).jpg
So depending on which one you tighten or loosen, if both are tight and the saw is all the way back you can use it like a chop saw
4-18-09 029 (800 x 600).jpg
If you loosen the knob on the motor and tighten the one on the main body
4-18-09 030 (800 x 600).jpg
And if you loosen the one on the main body and lopck the slide bars to the motor housing this is what you have. It also takes up the most room.
4-18-09 031 (800 x 600).jpg
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish you can limit your slide travel and there is an adjustment for your depth of cut also. Hope this helps:wave:.

Here is the thread you have been looking for Rob.:wave:

Thanks a ton Alan, sorry Steve i had you and Alan mixed up when i asked you if you had made one.:D

Gotta put a few tags on this one for sure. This is top of my priority list.

I like your saw was all excited then i noticed it too stretches to the rear when you make it slide. At least it dont take up space for normal cuts and on wheels one can always just move it forward.

Alan you should add the dust collection to the post i am sure others would love to see what you did. :thumb::thumb:

I like the supports for the wings, thats the way i am gonna go after seeing the folding brackets that i have. Neat little gadget you created there. Simple hardware but quiet clever.

It's not like the other sliders Rob. The bars are normally fixed to the front and the saw and motor slide on them. On this saw you can change the length of travel by moving the bars back if you want to to limit how far forward the saw travels. Sort of like a stop.

Another way to make the wing support adjustable would be to use a threaded insert in the hole in the top of the support arm with a carriage bolt because of the smooth rounded head & a block of hardwood on the bottom of the table with a depression in it for the bolt head to set into. Also be sure to put a nylock nut on the bolt to keep it in proper adjustment.

It's not like the other sliders Rob. The bars are normally fixed to the front and the saw and motor slide on them. On this saw you can change the length of travel by moving the bars back if you want to to limit how far forward the saw travels. Sort of like a stop.

Or you can cut with the saw locked to the bars & the bars sliding or the bars locked toward the front & the saw sliding on them.

Attachments

• SCMS1.jpg
    SCMS1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 12
  • scms3.jpg
    scms3.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Looks great Alan. I have one question though....maybe I missed it....What is the total length of the workstation with the wings up and locked in place? Again.....very nicely done:thumb:

The extension wings add 3' to each side and I think the cart is about 30" wide. I can cross cut pieces up to 48" long using the stop on the fence.