Worksharp Stand and Storage

glenn bradley

I have reached that point where very little can come into the shop without something else having to leave. This means that when I am designing something for the shop, three basic elements are involved in the equation.

- What is it supposed to do?
- Where will it fit once it’s made?
- What do I have lying around to make it out of?

With all that factored in I made this in reaction to seeing a very nice storage box in a Wood Magazine email. I didn’t have the room for a box the size of the unit made by the contributor but, it got me thinking . . .

You always need enough clamps and I am pretty close.

1-WS-Box-Clamped.jpg

My brainstorming result for how to fit more in less space.

2-WS-Box-Ramps.jpg

The idea begins to take shape. The drawer is built on a 1/4" melamine slab and just slides on the bottom of the carcass. Real low-tech.

3-WS3KdrawerUnfin.jpg

This magnet on the bottom of the drawer aligns with its mate inside the carcass. This provides plenty of grip to keep the drawer in whilst moving this in and out of service.

4-WS3Kmagnet.jpg

The whole unit is designed to be gripped by bench dogs. The hole in the drawer is matched by a hole in the back. They give me a little perceived tactile confidence when I grip the box to pick it up ;-)

5-WS3Kdogs.jpg

And it fits in this cabinet along with other jigs and such.

6-WS3Kstored.jpg

Last edited:
Darren is right, that is a great idea. I need to do something similar. I installed mine on a piece of plywood, but it does not solve the problem of the disc storage as your solution does.

How do you like your WorkSharp? I like mine a lot. I hand sharpen, but needed something easy to re-establish my bevel angles. I had tried a lot of different things (Tormek, sander, grinder, etc.), but this works best for me. I just need to get the wide blade attachemet, then it will just be the WorkSharp and my Sharptons.

Well done indeed Glenn :clap:

It always amazes me how a few small jigs/fixtures help out in the shop so much, this one looks like a very good solution :thumb:

Thanks everybody but, as usual, I just took a good idea and morphed it to fit my little world ;). BTW, I just ran about a dozen chisels through and noticed a side benefit. The added height means I don't have to hunch over. I didn't even know I was hunching over :D.

I installed mine on a piece of plywood, but it does not solve the problem of the disc storage

I was right there with you man.

How do you like your WorkSharp? I like mine a lot.

Ditto. I have a scary sharp setup too but it gets used less and less. The 3600 grit on the WS gives a pretty good finish. If I am doing really fine work I will SS the cutting edge on the 15 and .3 micron plates but, for most work, the WS is fine.

Last edited:
Super Glen. I mounted mine on top of my lathe accessory cabinet, but the discs have to sit inside the cabinet. I like yours as it is one tidy package. I'll follow your instructions and mount mine as such. Thanks for sharing.