Pictures not showing in posts - again

glenn bradley

I forget what the fix was for this last time but, I just posted here and at SMC. Same browser, same PC, same session. On SMC I see the thumbnails of the pics I post; here I get this:

Untitled-1.jpg

This happened once before and then auto-magically went away. If I close everything down and return here and to SMC, I still see the placeholders here and still get the thumbnails at SMC. If I click on the placeholders the pics show fine, you just can't see them as thumbnails.

Last time this was happening to some folks and not to others. IE, FF and Chrome all react the same.

Yes and this was the case last time. I believe others reported it when I did not have the problem. It is occurring now, in this thread. The pic I posted for an example looks like the pics in the example ;-) Hang on a sec . . . I just opened a "new window" in IE 7 and can see the thumbnails fine at SMC. One more sec . . . I'll post this, close out and come back.

OK, I'm back. I went to SMC where I can see the thumbnails, opened a "new window" and came here where the problem persists. In other words I duplicated the exercise from the other direction. Now, before I cause undue stress, let me go clean out all my miscellaneous browsing stuff and repeat the process . . . .

OK, removed all browsing history, cookies, etc. Problem persists. Just to make it wierd; thumbnails I could see before the behavior began, can still be viewed. Any new posts with pics, show the placeholder . . . Queue the Twilight Zone theme - Doo-doo-doo-doo, Doo-doo-doo-doo.

Last edited:
Ok, that's the problem...stop going to SMC. :D :rofl:

I'm running the maintenance to rebuild attachments, we'll see if it helps, may have to see if 3.8.2 broke something if not.

Thanks,

Hmmm, same-same. If no one else has started experiencing this I would have to determine it is a personal problem but I do not experience it on other vBulettin sites like Canadian Woodworking. I'll do a fresh install of Firefox just to be thorough . . .

Not to beat a dead horse or waste our Sunday but, I just installed Firefox on a PC that had never had it installed before. Results below:

Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
I found a post on another vbulletin forum about pic being posted under www (www.familywoodworking.org) vs. non-www (familwoodworking.org) causing similar issues. We made a change to the cookie domain settings, but you may need to clear your cookies to get it to work. Also, if anyone has bookmarks that are pointing to familywoodworking.com, you may need to update the bookmarks with the .org address instead; and please clear your cookies as well.

Thanks,

I found a post on another vbulletin forum about pic being posted under www (www.familywoodworking.org) vs. non-www (familwoodworking.org) causing similar issues. We made a change to the cookie domain settings, but you may need to clear your cookies to get it to work. Also, if anyone has bookmarks that are pointing to familywoodworking.com, you may need to update the bookmarks with the .org address instead; and please clear your cookies as well.

Thanks,

Yuk well I got rid of the cookies but it left a horrible taste in my mouth good thing I had a mocha to sweeten it again. Now I'll have to eat breakfast to have a place holder again.:rofl:

Way to go Darren. Looks like you got it. Wow this is a rare occasion; usually stuff like this turns out to be a Glenn-problem. You know, a bee-cack problem? (B-CAK = Between Chair And Keyboard)

We use the PEBKAC term at my work (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair). That or classify it as a "ID-10-T" error code. :)

Good to hear it fixed it, yes it is rare, but I consistently try or consistently screw something up...one of the two. :D

I had deleted cookies before Darren made his change so I don't know if that did it or not. I doubt it since I clear my cookies and all other temp stuff at least daily.