Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum Press Questions..........

Question Vacuum Press Questions..........

....., but UNFORTUNATELY, it's for Food Storage, and not Wood. It seems we are always overlooking things in our overstuffed Deep Freeze and losing food to Freezer burn. Now with 50 + lbs of freshly shelled Pecans to store, we have decided that NOW is a good time to get one of the Vacuum Pak thingys, and start using it on other meat & foods.

How many of you have used one of the available machines, and what do you like and dislike about the "Brand/model" you are using. We would like to get a Good one that will last and "Only have to Buy ONCE" (if possible), and will be packaging a variety of sizes of meats, vegetables, nuts, etc.

I would appreciate any input you may have as to:

1. What Brands do you think are the best
    2. What features are important and which ones are not
    3. Anything else we should know and/or a better place to buy online than
    Local

The LOML only found one store locally (so far), that carry these things and the one store had Three brands, Food Safe, No name, and Rival. I know that Rival brands in the past have been kind of like HF, usually cheaper in price, and that some things work well and have a decent life expectancy, and other items.....not so good. I have no experience with Food Safe.

Thanks for any information you may have.
    norm
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 04-20-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Can't answer none of your questions, but have the same problems and LOML is looking to get one herself.... she like the one that is upright.. takes less space on the counter and holds the roll of plastic.

And wonder if I got a cheap one, could you use the vacuum to do casting??
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

The issue is not so much with the pump to get the air out. The issue is keeping it out, and for how long. I have looked at these things and when I get a small freezer when I get back home, I will look more seriously at it. But I will focus of the packaging material, not the pump.

And I betcha that's where the real cost is! What does it cost to save money? Everything has a diminishing return on investment. It will be interesting to discover where this one is.

Looking forward to responses from those with experience.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    I've had a FOODSAVER in the house for 26 yars and wore 3 out! I buy the bags at Costco and bunch. Costco dose sell the machine too I did try one of those Ziplock kinda things and had one bag seal some cheese real nice one time and sense then I've used it 2 more times with out much luck with them.

Also you can by 50' rolls on eBay at time!
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Reading this got me to wondering why loml stopped using her foodsaver. Come to find out she could not find replacement rolls for it. I just told her to try costco. Thanks for the info Royall.

We have the foodsaver and like it a lot! We save on buying bulk and in no loss to storage. We also bought several of the canisters. They're great for left overs and dry good. We had some Chinese noodles the other night that we forgot we had seal up. They were 8 months old and as fresh as the day we opened the pack.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

My wife bought a FOODSAVER at a school bazaar sale, it worked for a few months, and then it died. When it was working it was great. The machine was not new, I'd say it was at least 10 years old. The motor in the pump died, I tried to fix it, but is was dead, now we are waiting for them to go on sale at Costco and we WILL get another one.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks for the info, sounds like Food Saver is probably the way to go.

Rennie, Thanks for mentioning the canisters, as I was not familiar with them, but I've looked at them now on the Food Safe website.

Is all the bag material from different sources the same THICKNESS (mils) / quality, or do you have to be careful when buying it from other sources?

We don't have any Costco stores in the area (unless there is one in Midland that I'm not aware of), so I guess I will have to check for suppliers of the bag tube material also, (haven't been to Wal Mart or Sams yet).
    Last edited by Norman Hitt; 04-20-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Walmart sells the sealer and bags. If you're bagging something like cheese, cut the bag longer and when opening it back up cut close to the sealed seam. That way you'll be able to reseal the bag again. The canisters have a special lit that allows a hose to connect to the machine. One other thing, you can turn the bags inside out and run them through the dishwasher. Saves a lot of money that way.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Walmart sells the sealer and bags. If you're bagging something like cheese, cut the bag longer and when opening it back up cut close to the sealed seam. That way you'll be able to reseal the bag again. The canisters have a special lit that allows a hose to connect to the machine. One other thing, you can turn the bags inside out and run them through the dishwasher. Saves a lot of money that way.
    Thanks for the tips, Royall. I found the Food Saver site and saw the cannisters, etc. Boy, they sure have a lot of Models,...... decisions, decisions, (too many choices, guess I'll sleep on it, maybe I'll get a little "Divine Inspiration" overnight).

Since we will be Re-packaging meat regularly, I wonder if the liquid collection trays that are on the Game Saver models would be plus for us, or if it is unnecessary, (I didn't see that feature listed on the other Food Safe models).