Botswana holiday - Easter 2009

Incredible trip Uys, thanks for sharing :thumb::thumb::thumb: I would love to take that adventure :D Rob, is this anywhere around where you were when you lived in South Africa?

Re Map of the area to illustrate location

Hi guys

I thought ye all might want to know exactly where Uys has been in this trip. Since a lot of people dont know the exact geography of Africa I thought a few maps might help.

Uys lives in Sandton a city very close to Johannesburg. I originate from there as well howver prior to coming to Canada I had moved to another city in SA called Pietermaritzburg which is approx 600Km South East of Johannesburg.

Ok So there are two maps here this one shows you the Southern African Region, consisting of South Africa at the Southern tip to the very north west you have Namibia (formerly South West Africa) then going east but still north of South Africa you have Botswana. This is where Uys went on his trip. Further north of South Africa is the basket case of the continent, Zimbabwe ( formerly Rhodesia) and to the very east of South Africa is Mozambique.
Regional Map Southern Africa.jpg

Now if we zoom in I have marked on the next map the approximate route that Uys took from his home around Johannesburg in South Africa to Maun in Botswana.

For info purposes here is a link to a 4x4 trail map of Botswana and all the reserves that exist in the Maun area.
http://www.namibia-forum.ch:8080/tracks4africa/

Just for the record Botswana is one of the most well managed countries in Africa. It has taken a beating in the finacial crisis due to its major export being diamonds. But it is big on tourism especially the adventure and safari tourist. The game is well preserved there and you can see them in the true wild. Great people and great country but it is a separate independent country just like South Africa.

Hope this helps put Uys's trip into perspective for all.

By the way a trip like Uys has taken is not for the faint hearted at all. It is tough terrain with few of the North American conveniences that most of you are used to. But if you have the inclination to visit and use a safari company this is some of the most wonderful wildlife country in the world.

Attachments

• Detailed map of area related to trip.jpg
    Detailed map of area related to trip.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for the Pics, Uys. I never got Quite that far south on any of my 200 + trips to Africa, just down to Harare, (which was a pretty nice place and beautiful countryside, the last time I was there about 20 years ago). I've hated to hear all that has happened there since then.

Hi Rob, thanks for filling in for me. Yes, Botswana is truely an African sucsess story. Crime is very low as is unemployment. The country is very well run, and it is a pleausre to visit!

Chuck, snakes is the least of your worries here, the crocks is a more agressive threat!

Botswana is really a must visit if you love the great outdoors. There is nothing seperating you from the wild life, and lions and elephants frequently walks through the camps with people sitting around the camp fire. Game viewing is the best! The parks is well managed with very little poaching, so there is plenty of game around.

Uys

Thanks for the Pics, Uys. I never got Quite that far south on any of my 200 + trips to Africa, just down to Harare, (which was a pretty nice place and beautiful countryside, the last time I was there about 20 years ago). I've hated to hear all that has happened there since then.
Norman.

We returned through Zimbabwe, and it was my first time there. It is really sad to see the state of the country, as it is clear from the remains that it was a very nice country. We went through Bulawayo, and it is a absolute rubish dump, with everything falling apart! It is sad to see the people suffering due to the ambition of one man!

Uys

Great trip report. Uys. :clap: I've done a fair amount of backcountry camping, but nothing in comparison. Don't see a lot of elephants, hippos, giraffes, or lions in the wilderness here. :D

Hi Vaughn.

Thank you, remeber we don't see many Bison, Grissley and Wolfs around here! Alaska is one of my dream destinations.

Right now we are planning to drive to Tanzania in August 2011 to go and see the migration in the Serengeti! That should be more or less a 12000 mile six week trip.

Uys