Another Jacaranda Natural Edge

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
This is another piece of the wood I got from the neighbors down the street. The finished bowl is about 10" x 9", and about 4 1/2" to the tip of the highest of the three wings. It's finished with Formby's Tung Oil mix and buffed. This one didn't have the curl some of the other jacaranda has had, but it's still a pretty cool piece of wood. I don't know how it got the green stain, but it was there from the start. Despite the varying thickness of the bark, the wall thickness is pretty consistent at about 7/8" to 1/2".

Bowl 061 - 02 800.jpg Bowl 061 - 01 800.jpg Bowl 061 - 03 800.jpg

Comments and critiques are always welcome -

Nice bowl Vaughn. Is there any trick to getting the bark to stay on and in place. I have never turned anything like this but would have thought that when turning it green, the bark would have hooked and come away. And then when its dry well I would have thought it would just crack off.

Any insight you can offer?

Same answer as the answer to the Question "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"

"Practice"

Frank's right about the practice part. I can't really discuss the other approaches for keeping the bark on a piece since they involves either religion or cursing. Don't want to violate CoC. :D

Seriously Rob, some bark holds on better than others. It's usually easier to cut (and less likely to let go) when the wood's green. For any of it, a light cut and sharp tools are vital. This piece had a section that started to detach itself from the sapwood as it dried, but I reinforced that section with epoxy before I did the finish turning.