Borg Trucks for sale

Ned Bulken

The Borg 'rent me for an hour' fleets are aging out, and being sold off. I've seen several on used car lots, sans logo, but still in all of their orange glory. I used one once when I didn't have a pickup, your basic stock pickup 1 ton with zero amenities. I chatted with a dealer about one the other day (he'd asked why I was photographing another property), he said they're going cheap, but have fairly low miles and seem to be pretty well maintained. ALways a dodgy business taking his word of course, but I checked out the one on his lot, it was clean inside and other than being fairly basic it was a solid F350 single cab. I found it interesting that they're not being kept around by the bean counters, for the little that they actually get used (at least around here) they can't be too beaten up by the renters.

Not something I need right now of course, or could afford as a luxury item, but for someone doing a contracting job or a landscaper etc..., looking for an alread depreciated vehicle they might be worth something.

I've never understood bean counters. :rolleyes: Back when I worked rental (RSC & Sunbelt) we sold stuff so cheap it wasn't funny. OF course you had to dicker some but as long as they sold it for what its value was on paper, corporate was happy.

I got my portable Lincoln 225 AC/DC welder that way. 230 hours on it and paid $350 for it. With 100 feet of stinger and 100 feet of ground leads. Plus I completely serviced it before it was sold to me.

Orange Pickup? around here they rent vans, and they aren't owned by the borg. They're owned by one of the car-rental chains. So you see logs of both on them.

I've never understood bean counters. :rolleyes: Back when I worked rental (RSC & Sunbelt) we sold stuff so cheap it wasn't funny. OF course you had to dicker some but as long as they sold it for what its value was on paper, corporate was happy.

I got my portable Lincoln 225 AC/DC welder that way. 230 hours on it and paid $350 for it. With 100 feet of stinger and 100 feet of ground leads. Plus I completely serviced it before it was sold to me.
Could the low prices have something do with taxes... depreciation, etc.?

Could the low prices have something do with taxes... depreciation, etc.?

You're onto something there Kirk. I won't hear me complain any. My former employer sold me my Delta/Rockwell contractors saw (1971 vintage) for $100. Why? Because it was already written off and they had to purchase a new saw with a guard over the belt.:thumb:

The BORG trucks around here are pretty nice units. Heavy duty chassis and an aluminum stake bed. I haven't been over there lately to see if any are being sold.

Wes