Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is this stuff I bought?

what is this stuff I bought?

I thought it was maple. It has these marks with bug holes all over the boards. I have more than I think I want.
    first picture bottom stuff is natural birch Im almost positive, what is the stuff on top, maple?
    second and third pic, the top board in second picture is 100% birch, what is the stuff with the colored marks with bug holes?(third pic is just the entire board)
    I thought it was maple. Is it usable with the bug holes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 762 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 764 (Medium).jpg   wood stuff 765 (Medium).jpg  

The board with holes and gray stain is called Ambrosia Maple. Also known as wormy maple. The brown, gray, and black striping are caused by staining associated with the worm holes in the tree. Turns love it.

I'll second Frank's call. That's ambrosia maple.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...20ambrosia.htm
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Ditto.

I wanted to build a coffee table with it, how do I fill the bug holes.(shove pieces of maple into the holes?)

Allen, Ambrosia maple is considered by some of us to be an upgrade too plain 'ole soft maple. That's what your maple looks like to me. You can mix sawdust with a little epoxy if you really want to fill the holes. I have sometimes epoxied copper dust or some other embellishment in the holes. I had some 3" x 6" x 48" birdseye maple planks that powder post beetles got into. I ended up sawing them into bowl blanks and filling the holes with copper. My Aunts were fighting over one of the bowls. Most people I know who use that wood leave the holes as is. I have heard that some people will sort through the maple lumber stacks to find the better figured wood. Soft maple is usually sawed as log run and not sorted for figure. I have a friend with a business who makes cabinet doors and drawers for cabinet shops. He will sometimes sort out the curly and ambrosia maple boards from a bunk and keep them for one job. This way the drawers all match and it is an extra exotic look for the kitchen.

I myself sort and keep any spalted, ambrosia, or curly maple boards and any combination of these figures for special projects. I just today split a log section to throw in the furnace only to find nice spalt and curl figure mixed. Dang it! I had to go and re-saw that block.

I have small contianers with different flavors of sawdust for this reason. Put some of it in a cup and mix w/ blonde shellac. This will allow the stain and/or other finish to match the rest of the wood, plus the shellac drys quick.

thanx for the quick replies.
    Last edited by allen levine; 04-22-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Looks like wood to me.

Here's a hall table I made from ambrosia, purple heart, and curly maple around Christmas on this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ambrosia table.jpg   ambrosia table 1.jpg   ambrosia table 2.jpg   ambrosia table 3.jpg