what is this stuff I bought?

It is real obvious that Allen has a problem. I think an intervention is needed before he sells his house in order to buy more wood. If not, someday we may see him on the street with all his possessions in a shopping cart...make that many shopping carts with all the wood he is buying.

ok, unloaded, sorted, and measured.

I see alot of flecking in almost half the white oak, not total board lengths,, but I wont say exactly what that means.
Its frustrating to purchase wood and not really having someone with me thats very experienced, I have to rely on the sellers word.
I trust him, I dont think anything other than hes a very honest and upfront guy.
Here are pics of the white oak, and the walnut, some closeup shots of each I hope are ok so the flecks can be seen in the white oak, and some of the beautiful looking grain on the walnut(Ive never worked with walnut)

I will tally up the total bf and figure out what I really got for what.
I cannot count as fast as this guy counts.
He can look at a mountain of wood and guess it within a few bf of what it all is.(yes, alot has to do with trust)

its tax refund money bill, the govt borrowed it, but has given it back, and I have enough for now.(although Im still hunting down cherry at the right price)

*Pic 768, the board had written on it in blue marker, rift sawn WO, and there were quite a bit that looked exactly like that grain.IN that same picture thats some spanish cedar to the right, I had it piled with the mahogany. Most of the mahogany I bought today was 2x4.

Attachments

• wood stuff 766 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 766 (Medium).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 767 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 767 (Medium).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 768 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 768 (Medium).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 11
  • wood stuff 769 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 769 (Medium).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
  • wood stuff 770 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 770 (Medium).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 771 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 771 (Medium).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
  • wood stuff 772 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 772 (Medium).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 12
  • wood stuff 773 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 773 (Medium).jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 15
  • wood stuff 774 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 774 (Medium).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
by my calculations, and if the wood is 5 and 3/4 wide, I just write 5, so I do it all in my favor, and if its 38 inches long, I just count it as 36.
I figured 26 bf of mahogany or spanish cedar at 5 per bf =130.00
123 bf of white oak at 3 per bf = 369.00(I told him Id take 150 bf of white oak, but he only had long 1x2 strips, I didnt want all that.)
It was at this point, I believe he said Im up to 550 dollars. So I guess my count and his count is different. Maybe he takes 5 and 3/4 as 6, so maybe thats why its off 50.00, unless ofcourse I missed a piece or two, that is possible.
The walnut figured out to 84.8 bf, again, in my estimates, Im very generous to myself, that came out to 678.00

130.00+369.00+678.00=1177, if all my math is correct.

So with my generous count, Im 77 bucks on my side. Ofcourse, I would have liked to get all the walnut in 1x6 or 1x8 by 96, but thats life.

You have more of a selection than some lumber yards I've been too:thumb:! I can't wait to see what your going to build next. I wish I could find prices like that around here.

He mentioned something quickly about somethings list, a long name I dont recall now, I guess he buys lumber from them, and I know he mentioned he buys at auctions.
The walnut he said he bought out of another shop. I cant imagine what else all those short boards would be good for other than flooring.
I see most of the lumber in his place is in 16-24 foot lengths.
Hes spoiling me, dont know what I will do when he retires or shuts his shop.

Before I moved to Texas in 1998, a good friend of mine asked if I wanted some scrap walnut that his grandfather had used to repair furniture that he had to reuhpolster. I couldn't turn down an offer like that. Lets just say there was enough of what he considered scrap to build a 13 drawer dresser and 2 night stands with enough left over to build at least a nice queen size bed. Unfortunatly I had to leave it cause we didn't have room for it. It's amazing what people consider scrap wood.