Tub Surround Tile Grout Question

Wes Bischel

I'm in the final stages of probably the most unsatisfying project I've ever worked on - re-grouting the tile surround in our old bathroom.:rolleyes:

The question: Should I seal the grout or not?

I've heard pros and cons for both options.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Wes

+1 on sealing. It's cheap and the hard part of that project is over. Don't go short on it now. I did the kitchen counters in my last house. The grout stayed blinding white with just spray cleaner and paper towels. Well worth the effort to seal.

Ok guys I have never heard of sealing grout. So what do you use. I mean the obvious is a sealer but what is it? Can you quote a brand or what the liquid is, how is it applied does it just wipe off the tiles?:huh:

It is a silicon sealant and all grout should be sealed and repeated every 6 months. it is simple as you spray it on the tile and grout and wipe it around with a sponge. It just stops water from penetrating the grout and all the ugly mold and mildew from forming in it. At leat that is what I was trained to do and have always done for years and never had a problem with my tile jobs.

Thanks guys. Sealer it is. Now all I need to do is wait for it to cure and go to town on the sealer.

Thanks again!

Wes