Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laminate Floor Install Advice

Laminate Floor Install Advice

Hey everyone! This is my first post, but I'm a long time lurker here.

My wife and I just purchased Pergo Casual Living laminate flooring to replace all the old contractor grade carpet in our house.

I'm looking for advice on the direction to run the laminate in each room. I've been told I can run it in any direction I want, but that it looks best if it's run parallel to the longest wall or parallel to the direction the sun shines into the room.

In the attached floor plan, the grey areas have no flooring, the blue areas have ceramic tile, the white areas will be receiving the laminate, and the windows are shown in yellow.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floor Plan.jpg  
    Last edited by Paul Fitzgerald; 04-23-2009 at 12:57 AM.
    Paul Fitzgerald

hi paul! i took a minute or two with sketchup, and dropped in some flooring on your drawing. hope it helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails floorplan1.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

I've always started from the front entryway. If there is a natural direction for it to flow to guide the guests into the house, in your case I would have it run down the hall towards the kitchen. I almost always have the rest of the house run in the same direction. In your case the run would go well for the living room and master bedroom transitions too.
    Last edited by Dan Gonzales; 04-23-2009 at 03:28 AM.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    hi paul! i took a minute or two with sketchup, and dropped in some flooring on your drawing. hope it helps.
    Both Dans you the man. Thats what i call helping out.
    cheers

Just my .2 cents, you never see flooring put down in alternating directions, or at least I never have. I know I would never buy a house or install my own that had that. The idea behind this wood flooring is to simulate the real stuff, so might as well make it look as close to it as possible. Running it up and down (as your picture sits) would make the most sense, in the end will be the easiest to work around when you come to those doorways too. Do yourself a favor and don't skimp on the plastic padding material that goes under the flooring.
    Go ahead and run clown, with those big floppy shoes, you won't get far.

Okay, based on what you guys have said, what do you think of this?

I've added green blocks to designate the transition moldings (T Molding, End Molding, etc.).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Floor Plan 2.jpg  
    Paul Fitzgerald

Kea'au Hawaii. Just down the road from Hilo town!
    Paul, I'm far from a professional but I think the hallway would look better with the laminate running the length of the hall rather than the way it is pictured now. It wouldn't take long to call a couple of installers to get their ideas. The rest of layout looks great. One other thought on the hall orientation, the flooring would be stronger going length wise because you would have more interlocking connections that way. It would be very easy for the floor to want to buckle up or creep. I maybe wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I wouldn't lay the hall that way.
    Aloha,

What goes around, comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Royall Clark View Post
    Paul, I'm far from a professional but I think the hallway would look better with the laminate running the length of the hall rather than the way it is pictured now. It wouldn't take long to call a couple of installers to get their ideas. The rest of layout looks great. One other thought on the hall orientation, the flooring would be stronger going length wise because you would have more interlocking connections that way. It would be very easy for the floor to want to buckle up or creep. I maybe wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I wouldn't lay the hall that way.
    That is something to consider, for some reason I wasn't considering the "click" or "locking" floors that float over foam. So is it a floating system or will it be nailed/glued to the subfloor? What is your subfloor construction?

Cheers.
    Dan Gonzales
    Whittier, CA, USA
    Dona nobis pacem

I have done 2 houses as a DIY and from reading all the information I could find. They do say start on the longest wall and to lay the floor so it is inline with the window/s were the most the light come in. Sometimes the longest wall is the opposite of were the windows are located for the light. I have come to the following conclusion; Lay the floor to were you will think it would looks the BEST This maybe more work up front but you will like it more after you are finished. I agree with Royall, to me it looks best going with the length of the hall way (the opposite that you have on your layout). Also no matter which way you lay it, I would lay it all in the same direction. Think out where your transition moldings would work the best and you can do closets last with pieces left over if need.

The last think is what a man told me once when I was building my house. "There is only one rule to follow - It is your house build it the way you want too."

Have fun and do not forget the knee pads.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gonzales View Post
    That is something to consider, for some reason I wasn't considering the "click" or "locking" floors that float over foam. So is it a floating system or will it be nailed/glued to the subfloor? What is your subfloor construction?

Cheers.
    It's a floating click/lock floor. No nails or glue. My subfloor is concrete.
    Paul Fitzgerald