Vari-Grind Problem - Quick Response if possible ??

Dan Mosley

Opened up the box tonight and it appears that the Vari-grind jig i thought i had bought is a bit different than what the box and pictures show. Below are pictures of the Vari-grind and the box it came in. Box says: accomodates up to 1 1/8" - Part # 3074, ....Im not really sure what to do at this point. There is no spring as shown in the picture on the box - and a bit confused on wheather to keep this one or try to send it back. Is it better ? or ?
Anybody out there that knows about these jigs - Should i keep this jig or is it the wrong one ?

Attachments

• Ginder-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Ginder-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Grinder-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    Grinder-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Grinder-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    Grinder-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Grinder-5 (600 x 450).jpg
    Grinder-5 (600 x 450).jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Grinder-6 (600 x 450).jpg
    Grinder-6 (600 x 450).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Hi Dan,
Ive got the set up as shown on the box, not the one you've received.
It looks like a new design which replaces the sprung steel part with a large clamp down block.
I assume the block has a V cut on the side that would make contact with the gouge as you tighten it down? and does it hold the gouge securely.
I can only assume they believe this design to be better than the old one or maybe the old design has some inherent flaw.
I cant see any mention of a new design on the oneway website but why not e-mail them for an explanation.
Im sure they'll respond quickly.
regards, Bill

Dan, this is not a "New" new design, but it is also not the regular vari grind.

The regular vari grind jig still has the spring and knob, this vari grind jig is for the larger super duper beater stick gouges we are seeing on the market these days. One of the reasons I made my own jig was at the time, I could not find a jig that would accomadate my large beater stick, my P&N Super Gouge, it was too thick to fit in the hole.

vari_grind_jigs.jpg
From Oneway's homepage

If you have the #3074 you have the jig for larger tools.

If you do not have a lot of large tools, I'd return it and get the regular jig, #2840

Cheers!

The spring was a design flaw of the Varigrind. You have to lift up the spring when you withdraw the sharpened tool from the jig; otherwise the spring dragging the sharp edge would wear out the spring and burnish (dull) the edge.
lock-fast-before_l.jpg

lock-fast_l.jpg

Sharp-Fast has an upgrade kit to replace that spring.
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/12966

The regular size Varigrind is capable of gouges 3/4" diameter; and we don't need to use the Varigrind for traditional grind gouges. I believe that is enough for most turners.

I have an older varigrind - no notches on the curve and different knob than current version - and have had problems with the spring and the knob broke off. If your version will work with your smaller gouges, I'd keep it. If not then you'll need to exchange it since I doubt gouges over 3/4" are your main tools. I'd like to know if the new version will work with say a 3/8 gouge? I'm probably going to get the sharpfast upgrade for mine eventually.

Gordon, the Sharpfast upgrade looks like a small bearing......?

I can do that to my homemade version myself :thumb:

Ken, the Oneway site says the #3074 (large tool) unit is for tools 1/2" to 1 1/8" the usual unit, the #2480 is for 1/8" to 5/8"

Cheers!

Tonight i put together the Wolverine base, Grinder, and the vari grind (larger one i spoke of that i got by mistake).
Attached my Delta Grinder - I didnt have much time to try it out but i did regrind a older spindle gouge i had laying around for practice. I used the vari-grind on both sides. First, I created a new profile on the grinding side (grey 60 grit) and then sharpened it up on the other side (white-120grit). Turned out very very sharp.
Next tried out a large bowl scrapper (pic below) using the grinding platform that came with the Wolverine. I could not use the vari-grind as the scrapper is 1 1/2" wide and would not fit into the jig. I reground it to a 20' profile and then sharpened it up on otherside using the same base and settings.
I cant recall the tool ever being this sharp.

:::::::::::::Impression of the Oneway Wolverine and Jig:::::::::::::

So far im very impressed by the Wolverine and the Vari-grind. The Wolverine is a solid made pc of equipment. The welds are nice and it is very sturdy. The platform is nice and wide which allows much better control when shaping or sharpening. The locking speed handles and bases on both sides of my grinder makes grinding and sharpening fast and simple once you have it setup correctly.

The Vari-grind - i made a scrap block of wood with a stop about 1 3/4" in for setting the length that extends out the front. The jig i have has a solid steel block for securing the gouge in the jig. Seems to work on all tools i have placed in it so far. Im going to make sure they all work in it and if so im just going to keep this one (shipping and hassle to retrun and get the other one etc--). It is also built very solid and makes sharpening a much simpler task than i would have ever thought.

Attachments

• Delta-5 (600 x 450).jpg
    Delta-5 (600 x 450).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Delta-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    Delta-4 (600 x 450).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 29
  • Delta-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    Delta-3 (600 x 450).jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Delta-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Delta-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Delta-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Delta-1 (600 x 450).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Scrapper (450 x 600).jpg
    Scrapper (450 x 600).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Dan & Stu,

It seems to me that if the threaded part is long enough, it should work on a smaller gouge than actually stated on the specs. Or perhaps some sort of spacer is called for. Maybe the threaded part could be replaced with a longer bolt? Just seems that you shouldn't actually have to have two different jigs. Dan, don't know if I understood you correctly, but the jig is not designed for scrapers anyway. Sounds like you are doing it correctly by sharpening scrapers on the platform. As for the jig, I use mine all the time. The ability to re sharpen at the exact same angle over and over makes it so much easier to touch up while turning that you will keep your tools sharper and consequently, be a better turner. Good luck with it and, if you ever make it work with a smaller than specified gouge, bowl or spindle, let me know. thanks,

Ken

Ken your right about the bolt idea..........if it will not work on smaller gouges etc- im going to get a longer bolt from the hardware store and then it should work fine.........I dont want to return it as it seems to lock the tool down hard and secure with the block that is in it.....no movement etc- so i think thats what im going to try .....ill post later and let you know about the smaller tools and the jig.......thanks for the reply

I agree that a longer bolt might work, worth a try, but, if the bolt is too long, then it will hit the grinder when you swing the jig to do the wings on a gouge, I had that exact problem with my homemade jig, I had to cut down the bolt, and handle on it so it would not hit the side of the grinder.

FYI :wave: