File cabinet special

It was one of those days that I couldn't get anything going so I looked over in one corner and saw the old file cabinet I bought for 5 bucks. Thinking what Frank did with his got me wanting to do something with this one. Added a wider base with some casters I had from an old project, a wide top with trim and now I have a place for most of my sanding equipment. I still need to do something to organize the sandpaper. That's another day.

IMG_8724 (Small).jpg

IMG_8725 (Small).jpg

IMG_8727 (Small).jpg

IMG_8728 (Small).jpg

IMG_8729 (Small).jpg

IMG_8730 (Small).jpg

IMG_8731 (Small).jpg

IMG_8732 (Small).jpg

IMG_8733 (Small).jpg

Looks great Royall, but may I make a suggestion?

royalls_sanding_cab.jpg
I'd move the power strip from where it is, to the side of the cabinet, under the new top. I would worry that the position it is in now, the power strips sockets could fill up with sawdust, and at best not work well, at worst, cause a fire.

Just suggesting.

Nice work, way to recycle, well worth the $5 :D :thumb:

It's beautiful. I always try to get at least two uses out of darn near everything and that beats the heck out of a trip to the landfill.

Thanks guys! That's a good point Stu. I'll move it over when I get out to the shop this morning. Had to do something like this as I don't use the sanders that often and got tired of them taking up space on the work bench. Still need to get something set up for my tool chest that's sitting on the end of the bench (one heavy bugga!) and once it finds a new home I can then set up the chop saw station. Just not enough hours in the day! :( Well that's not true... The body is just too old to work ALL the hours that I want it to:D

Great job Royall! I'll say you got your $5 worth out of the cabinet, glad to help with the inspiration. Really good use of the space and that base looks extra stable. I can see this as being very handy, pushed out of the way when not needed, and right at hand when there is sanding to be done.

Stu beat me to it about the power strip, but I'll add I also filled unused outlets with the "child-proof" covers. Electricity can help make dust, but otherwise they don't play well together.

Love these Ideas :thumb: Seeing yours and Franks, I think I am, even though I don't like them :doh:, going to hit some garage sales and look for one of those. It would be perfect for my rigid belt/spindle sander. Thanks, I think :eek::rofl::rofl:

If you have a choice of cabinets Tom, always go for the one with full extension slides. The ones in the box are the basic 3/4 travel and dosen't give good access to the contents of the drawer.:( I'll pick some new slides up one of these days. :D

Thanks Frank for the ideas! I do have to pick up one more locking caster. I don't remember why I've only got one now!:huh: May just make up a couple of those cut out blocks to slip around the wheels to keep them from moving. I don't usually get too heavy handed when sanding.... loads the paper up too fast.:thumb: