Ever Felled a Tree on Top of a Sheep?

Travis I must say I am still smiling at that one. I must say you have a way with the stories. You have to stay away from that chain saw.:rofl::rofl:

I have been thinking of bringing down a few trees on our property on Salt Spring and then I hear of posts like this and remember why I have not done it yet. I know something will happen and then I will be compelled to share it with everyone. One on this site is enough me thinks. :rofl::rofl:

Hey you forgot about the sled mishap. That sort of counts along the lines of falling the trees on the power line and the sheep. Doesn't it?

You take care of your self and your flock. :thumb::thumb:

Travis I must say I am still smiling at that one. I must say you have a way with the stories. You have to stay away from that chain saw.:rofl::rofl:

I have been thinking of bringing down a few trees on our property on Salt Spring and then I hear of posts like this and remember why I have not done it yet. I know something will happen and then I will be compelled to share it with everyone. One on this site is enough me thinks. :rofl::rofl:

Hey you forgot about the sled mishap. That sort of counts along the lines of falling the trees on the power line and the sheep. Doesn't it?

You take care of your self and your flock. :thumb::thumb:

I forgot about the sled incident. I was at the chiropractor's office the other day and happened to have a new Massage Therapist. She was trying to get my injury history but I think she was getting writer's cramp as she tried to jot down the "high impact trauma's" I have had. :)

Come on Travis how could you ever forget that sled incident? :huh: Are you still having problems due to it? I can just imagine the look on your therapist's face after hearing your stories. :eek::eek::eek: I am sure that she had writter cramp. So was this just one session or do you have to go back for several more visits to finish off your tales? :thumb:

Come on Travis how could you ever forget that sled incident? :huh: Are you still having problems due to it? I can just imagine the look on your therapist's face after hearing your stories. :eek::eek::eek: I am sure that she had writter cramp. So was this just one session or do you have to go back for several more visits to finish off your tales? :thumb:

Actually I have been going to see her for the past few weeks for a logging injury I got. I never mentioned it on here as it was simply a widow-maker and nothing I did wrong, or did silly...just part of the job.

As many of you know the trees I had planted in 1994-1996 have died so I have been clearing them for sheep. This means cutting lots of trees. (12 acres worth) Thankfully they are not big, but big enough. Anyway when I was cutting one, the top of the tree broke off and struck me on my straight on top of the head. I always wear a hard hat, but it still rattled my brain some and I felt my neck pop. The tree was only about 6 inches in diameter, but falling from 20 feet, it was a pretty hard hit and compressed my neck.

I had to go on a machine that stretched my spine back out, but since then my back's been pretty bad and of course my neck. The tree rolled off my shoulder...the same one I injured with my sled so it been reinjured I guess. I've been seeing a chiropractor and massage therapist every week, but she can only do so much. The sheep and trees are still here so what can you do but keep working and hoping eventually things right themselves?

As a side note, the logging accident was not because I did anything wrong. I am cutting these trees because they are diseased. The bark beetles attack the tree and then sap suckers come in and peck the bugs which causes a weak spot in the trunk. Hidden by the branches, the trees are brittle and rotted and will often snap off when felling them (or by the wind). Thankfully they are kind of small (10 inches perhaps on the bottom) or it would be really dangerous.

I came close to joining you in that one Travis last year. I was bringing down some alder on the back of our property. Just small stuff maybe 10 inches at the base. I was dropping the trees and pulling them out of the pond with the jeep. Really the only way to do it. I didn't notice the widow maker that was hung up against one of the trees and I had planned my escape route and when the tree got hung up I gave it a gentle push. the other tree came down with it too. lucky for me it stopped inches from my head as it had gotten hung up on another tree on the way down. The lord truely favours the fools. Of course the new wife was standing there watching me and saw the whole thing. Her late husband had passed away infront of her a few years earlier and this was enough to rattle her good. That was pretty much the last tree that I cut down in front of her. On the positive note to all this was a humming bird that had been buzzing my wife while I had been bringing the trees down. It turned out that it had a nest in a cedar tree right at the edge of the pond. Lucky we had missed it with all the trees. It had two eggs in it and we were able to watch the progression and hatching of the humming birds over the next couple of weeks. Momma hummer was pretty good about the camera too and allowed me to get some good pics of her and the young.

Attachments

• Copy of nest 5.JPG
    Copy of nest 5.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Copy of nest 9.JPG
    Copy of nest 9.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 13
Squashed sheep, lotsa garlic, roasted. Yummy. ;)
Pictures? :eek: :rofl::rofl:

Sorry no pictures. My home computer got a really bad worm and has to be fixed by someone smarter than me. That is the first time that has ever happened, but anyway I am using the wife's school laptop as a back up on nights and weekends.

The scary thing is, in an attic in the sheep shed above these sheep I have half a case of dynamite with blasting caps. If you think chainsaws and sheep make a lousy combination, imagine the results of dynamite and a flock of sheep.

Of course the other night when I was really tired, and even more tired of playing keep-away from 3 stupid sheep, I could have inserted one of those sticks in a very dark spot on those sheep and touched it off. The wool would still be floating in the air.:thumb: