Good Dawgs

Stuart Ablett

As some of you may know, I've built most of my back bench, and I've put a few dog holes in it. I've used the holdfasts in the dog holes, but I need some bench dogs.

There are a lot of them on the market;
LV_bench_dogs1.jpg
Lee Valley makes these

LN_round_dogs.jpg
Lie Nielsen's are here

Ulima_bench_dogs.jpg
Ulima ones

I also found these dogs, made from wood, with a catch on the side.....
wooden_catch_dog.jpg
.... I like the idea of a spring, not a catch, because at a certain point the catch would no longer work, as it would be above the table. :huh:
LV_wonder_dogs.jpg
Lee Valley also makes the "Wonder Dogs", which are VERY cool, and I'll own some one day, but they are not quite what I want, I just want some bench dogs for now.

I'd rather have wooden ones, so I decided to make some up myself :thumb:

bench_dogs_1.jpg bench_dogs_3.jpg
Using the magnetic featherboard, I cut my pieces at 22mm, my holes are 21mm, this give me just a bit of wiggle room, as you will see.

bench_dogs_2.jpg
Once cut to 22mm square, I then use the tablesaw to cut a groove down the middle of each piece, just a little over half way through the piece (say 12mm deep).

bench_dogs_4.jpg bench_dogs_5.jpg
With the groove cut, I then cut the long pieces in half, as it is a LOT safer/easier to do these cuts on these thin pieces with longer stock.

Over to the lathe.........

On the lathe, I'm using a safety drive center headstock, this works well for this, as the point fits right into the groove, and the cup holds everything well.

bench_dogs_6.jpg bench_dogs_7.jpg

I just rough out the dog, nothing special, smooth it to the 21mm size, I can take it on and off the lathe and check it in a dog hole.

bench_dogs_8.jpg
Next I cut a thin piece of wood to fit into the groove.

bench_dogs_9.jpg
I cut the piece so it just sticks out a bit proud of the groove on one end and slightly inset on the other. I just use my block plane to do this in the vice.

bench_dogs_10.jpg
I then glue it in place at a very slight angle, so the one end of the thin strip sticks out from the groove about 1/4" Again, you can use the block plane to adjust the fit of the wooden strip into the side of the dog.

bench_dogs_11.jpg bench_dogs_12.jpg bench_dogs_13.jpg bench_dogs_14.jpg
If you have not guessed by now, the thin wooden strip acts as a spring to keep the dog in position wherever you set it.

I'm not sure if I'll cut a flat on the top of the dog, like most of the metal ones have, may not need it :dunno:

Well, that is what I came up with, I don't know if anyone else has done this, I could not find any pics or such, I have seen this over and over with "Square" dogs, but not round ones. In the last two pics you can see the spring compressed.

I hope someone finds this of use.

Cheers!